"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

I line a colander with a large men's handkerchief (you could use cheesecloth) and pour the stock, bones, skin in. Then I have strained stock and easily discarded solids. The handkerchief goes into th laundry bin for kitchen towels that I launder with bleach in the wash.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #52
Executive Chef

"I line a colander with a large men's handkerchief..."

I like this idea. Got plenty of those. Somewhere I read to use an old t-shirt to strain something when cheesecloth was too porous. I hate to give up my t shirts,they're never too old for something, unless they're holey, in which case it defeats this one last gasp usage.

What I really mean to ask is what is the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef

In this discussion of homemade, the once reliable distinction was that stock must include bones, usually along with skin and meat. Broth is made without bones. Thus, you could never have vegetable stock.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #54
Executive Chef

In the Madrid Capital, they call a mature Hen, a Gallina, otherwise I use a Chicken ... They create the best base for chicken stock ... I am in agreement with Bolas and the others who mentioned same.

Ciao.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In this discussion of homemade, the once reliable distinction was that stock must include bones, usually along with skin and meat. Broth is made without bones. Thus, you could never have vegetable stock.
I have to humbly disagree. What about celery ribs. Didja ever think about celery ribs? Didja? Didja? So if celery has ribs, then you can make a stock from it.

And what about the meat of the potato? Same thing. By your definition, if it has meat, then it can be made into stock.

And so, I make no bones about it. You can make both potato and celery stock. I win.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have to humbly disagree. What about celery ribs. Didja ever think about celery ribs? Didja? Didja? So if celery has ribs, then you can make a stock from it.

And what about the meat of the potato? Same thing. By your definition, if it has meat, then it can be made into stock.

And so, I make no bones about it. You can make both potato and celery stock. I win.

What I said was that stock required BONES not MEAT so the potato is out. Celery may have ribs but there's no meat on dem ribs so I'm not counting those either.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #57
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Sounds like a good start to potato soup....smart aleck!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
What I said was that stock required BONES not MEAT so the potato is out. Celery may have ribs but there's no meat on dem ribs so I'm not counting those either.
Quote:

Geez you two stop it right now before I choke. You've got me howling here.
Not nice boys...
kades
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #59
Executive Chef

I guess this clarifies that, as it is pretty clear now.

On the other hand, vegiteraniums may find this news a bit disconcerting. But then again, they shouldn't be reading about such a meaty subject anyway.

Kades, I have heard of people choking on a chicken bone, celery ribs are mostly water. Learn to take smaller bites and chew your food more thoroughly.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My celery ribs must be ticklish...they are cracking up.

Tags
chicken, homemade, soup, tips