ISO tips on homemade chicken soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara, I don't think balsamic would taste very good in the soup. White vinegar works, but it leaves an odor in the soup IMO. I've had some luck with white wine vinegar though.

Zhizara, I don't think balsamic would taste very good in the soup. White vinegar works, but it leaves an odor in the soup IMO. I've had some luck with white wine vinegar though.

I have only added vinegar once, so far. I used cider vinegar and that worked fine.

Ya know, we have been giving our all to these recipes and methods, but I believe larryP has moved on to other boards where he can get an answer in less than 5 minutes.

Too bad, it takes patience to be a cook. :glare:

Glad you put into words what I was thinking, SG. So often happens when someone asks a question, but I love the conversation that happens like this when the OP leaves.
For example, I don't really have to have a fat old chicken, or a young lean expensive one for that matter. Those cheap trotters from the fat old hens will work just fine. :LOL: I learn something every day. :flowers:

Glad you put into words what I was thinking, SG. So often happens when someone asks a question, but I love the conversation that happens like this when the OP leaves.
For example, I don't really have to have a fat old chicken, or a young lean expensive one for that matter. Those cheap trotters from the fat old hens will work just fine. :LOL: I learn something every day. :flowers:

That's exactly what I was thinking :)

And I AM a fat, old chicken...:LOL:

Over here in certain markets you can buy old boiling fowl for about $1 a bird, the are ugly scrawny fowl that are as tough as old boots if used for any other cooking, because of their age they are fully matured and packed full of flavor that is released for stock by long slow simmering.The benefit of a soup lunch for 4 plus a chicken pie dinner for 4 that costs $1 plus your pastry ect should not be forgotten in these economic times.:)

What type of fowl do you think commercial Stock and Soup makers use?

I'd bet they use the bones and skin from all the boneless skinless chicken breasts they produce, Bolas.

Thanks, Alix. I make my own chicken broth usually, so I won't add Balsamic and ruin it. I have white, cider and Balsamic vinegars so I'll just stick with the white.

I will, however buy a couple of cans of the Swanson, Kayelle, just to keep on hand.

I am pretty sure the cheap packs of leg quarters are what's left over after all those chicken breasts are sold. They are not old chickens--too tender for old chickens.

Sometimes those leg quarters are huge, sometimes the leg part is broken or bruised, or they are mis-cut. All those things mean that they won't be getting a Grade A mark on the package, so they are sold for less.

Don't worry--the Grade A mark only refers to the looks of the meat--they are all inspected for disease/safety.

Sincerely, Sparrowgrass--former USDA chicken checker. :D

Inorganic chicken:

rubber-chicken.jpg

They make lousy soup!

Don't forget to toss the feet in the pot. That's where the healing power of chicken soup comes from.

sir loin, please explain how adding chicken feet to soup makes it healthier. more viscous, yes, but healthier?

my wife keeps telling me if i rub her feet we'll have a better life, but i'm skeptical...

I have only added vinegar once, so far. I used cider vinegar and that worked fine.

So white or apple cider vinegar will help make the stock gel?

I cut up a chicken into pieces for frying. Then took the back, neck, excess skin and assorted inards that were in the bag put in in a pot with only the bottom 3 inches of stems from 1 bunch of parsley, 1 large unpeeled, skin on onion, 2 unpeeled carrots, 4 outside celery ribs ( save the pale heart and all the leaves for the soup itself), the top green leaves of a bunch of leeks (split open and WASHED well several times to remove the sand and grit), salt and ground pepper. Covered with water. Bring to a boil then loweer to a bare simmer for 2 hours. Turn off pot and let sit covered till completely. Then strain stock pick meat off bones and save for the gravy etc or give it to the cat. Placed stock in fridge. It was chicken jello in the morning. Wonderful flavor. I used it for my stuffing and gravy for Easter dinner.

So white or apple cider vinegar will help make the stock gel?

I cut up a chicken into pieces for frying. Then took the back, neck, excess skin and assorted inards that were in the bag put in in a pot with only the bottom 3 inches of stems from 1 bunch of parsley, 1 large unpeeled, skin on onion, 2 unpeeled carrots, 4 outside celery ribs ( save the pale heart and all the leaves for the soup itself), the top green leaves of a bunch of leeks (split open and WASHED well several times to remove the sand and grit), salt and ground pepper. Covered with water. Bring to a boil then loweer to a bare simmer for 2 hours. Turn off pot and let sit covered till completely. Then strain stock pick meat off bones and save for the gravy etc or give it to the cat. Placed stock in fridge. It was chicken jello in the morning. Wonderful flavor. I used it for my stuffing and gravy for Easter dinner.

I like your unique additions MsM, like the parsley stems (where most of the flavor lives), and the leek tops. Geeze, now all of you have inspired me to make some stock again.:chef: It's also very interesting about the vinegar trick.

I like your unique additions MsM, like the parsley stems (where most of the flavor lives), and the leek tops. Geeze, now all of you have inspired me to make some stock again.:chef: It's also very interesting about the vinegar trick.
Thank you Kayelle.

Back
Top Bottom