"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 06-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

Wolf, there's a reason I asked my previous question "Do you want a quick and easy recipe, or the old fashioned time involved recipe?" You didn't answer that. Thanks should be given to our generous members for going into great detail for you with the time involved way to make it, without knowing exactly what you wanted.

I'll give you the short version.

Although I do make my own chicken stock sometimes, there's nothing shameful in using canned chicken stock. Swanson's is my choice but there are others. Some object to the salt content, but salt is flavor, and for me it's seasoned perfectly. I add my boneless skinless chicken chunks to the broth, and maybe some veggies. I boil the noodles separately in water till half done, add them to the pot, and season the pot to taste. Done.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Kayelle is spot-on. Costco Kirkland brand and Rachael Ray also make good stock. I've made some dynamite chicken noodle soup with Better Than Boullion, even better that I recently discovered it in low sodium. Canned chicken meat can be used.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been enjoying reading the various methods for preparation of the stock and chicken, but no one so far has mentioned the noodles.

What kinds of noodles are being used.

I like to use crushed Ramen noodles added at the end.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like the fine egg noodles, they cook right in the broth. DH likes the thick Amish-made egg noodles, I usually partially pre-cook those before adding them.

Ramen noodles sound really good too, will have to try that!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
Master Chef

Good idea Z........the noodles.

IMO, there's nothing better than home made noodles in the soup. I can get "Grandma's home made egg noodles" in the freezer section of the grocery, and at Walmart.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
Head Chef

What kind of Noodles?

Good question.

I like to use generic egg noodles I get at the store. Aprox 3/8" wide and 1 1/2" long. I have been known to use spaghetti but I break it into small lengths first. What's on hand is the most important factor to me.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #17
Master Chef

I forgot to add that I always squeeze some fresh lemon juice over my CNS when serving. It adds a fresh wonderful brightness to all the flavors.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Wolf, there's a reason I asked my previous question "Do you want a quick and easy recipe, or the old fashioned time involved recipe?" You didn't answer that. Thanks should be given to our generous members for going into great detail for you with the time involved way to make it, without knowing exactly what you wanted.

I'll give you the short version.

Although I do make my own chicken stock sometimes, there's nothing shameful in using canned chicken stock. Swanson's is my choice but there are others. Some object to the salt content, but salt is flavor, and for me it's seasoned perfectly. I add my boneless skinless chicken chunks to the broth, and maybe some veggies. I boil the noodles separately in water till half done, add them to the pot, and season the pot to taste. Done.
I am sorry that I didn't respond to your post as soon as you posted it
but I was busy with other things.
Now as far all the info I want to thank everyone for their input.
It is very informative.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I forgot to add that I always squeeze some fresh lemon juice over my CNS when serving. It adds a fresh wonderful brightness to all the flavors.
I too add a bit of lemon juice and some fresh lemon zest right at the end. If you add lemon juice too early, it turns bitter. I do leave out the ginger and lemongrass sometimes. When I started adding pickling spice is when my CNS went from bland to tasty, which is about the same time I started cracking and roasting the bones and making the stock in the oven. Oh, forgot the dash of vinegar to pull calcium out of the bones. Yes, it takes time, but it really made a difference.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Do you want a quick and easy recipe, or the old fashioned time involved recipe? By bland, do you mean bland chicken flavor, or lacking spices?

Have you made any other soup in the past?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking wolfe View Post
no other soup.
But you answered one question.

Happy soup making!

Tags
chicken, other, soup