ISO Tomato soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I'm looking for a good tomato soup recipe, possibly using canned tomatoes that I can use in my cooking classes for teenagers. We have a two hour slot in which we prepare 2 courses and do all the clear up - so it needs to be fairly simple.

Here is a good ol stand by.

I puree one onion, sweat until translucent, salt and white pepper, add pureed hole par peeled(or chopped)canned tomatoes, bring to simmer, add heavy cream and some chicken stock(omit stock for a veggie version), bring to simmer, take off heat and mix in butter. Mix well!

I like it topped with a little fresh basil and sour cream, or some really crispy bacon.

Tomato Soup

2 Tb Olive oil
1/4 Lb Pancetta – diced
1 Carrot - diced
1 Onion - diced
1 Celery - diced
2 Garlic - minced
2 Tb Flour
4 C Chicken broth
16 Oz Tomato
1/2 Tb Thyme
1/2 Tb Rosemary
1/2 Tb Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
TT Salt & Pepper

Saute the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is browned.

Sauté the vegetables in the fat over medium high heat until they begin to brown.

Add the flour and cook for two - three minutes.

Add the broth and deglaze the pan.

Add the tomato, herbs and spices.

Cook for 30 - 45 minutes.

Use a blender or hand blender to puree the soup.

Strain to remove the rosemary.

Here are some ideas to season your home made Tomato soup Fresh or dried dill is very good in Tom. soup. And old Mess sargent told me he put ground clove in his soup and for a military mess haul it was very good. when serving a dollop of sour cream is also a good garnish Just some ideas for you

This is embarrassing!

1 Can Campbell's tomato soup
1 can whole milk

Put soup into blender, add one can full of milk (stir milk inside the can with a spoon to get every last drop of condensed soup out of the can), and process on MIX setting unitl the contents are one, uniform, kinda pink color. Pour soup mixture into a sauce pan and heat on stove until just before it boils.

Pour soup into a bowl, and serve, accompanied by a grilled sandwich of American cheese on Wonder, Weber's, or better yet, Sunbeam white bread.

This is embarrassing!

1 Can Campbell's tomato soup
1 can whole milk

Put soup into blender, add one can full of milk (stir milk inside the can with a spoon to get every last drop of condensed soup out of the can), and process on MIX setting unitl the contents are one, uniform, kinda pink color. Pour soup mixture into a sauce pan and heat on stove until just before it boils.

Pour soup into a bowl, and serve, accompanied by a grilled sandwich of American cheese on Wonder, Weber's, or better yet, Sunbeam white bread.

...and serve with a side of canned jellied cranbery sauce.

Thank you for your help. Andy's looks a good one that will also help the kids with their skills. Caine a great way to liven up Campbell's soup!

Cheers

Ray

Dads Tomato Soup
One can whole tomatoes, or cut tomatoes put in 3 quart pan
Use tomato can, fill with water 1/2 full and add to tomatoes (do not use stewed tomatoes)
Slice small onion then cut slices in half then add to soup
Heat till onion is cooked, let it cool for a minute or so
Add 1 tsp baking soda (this will cause the soup to bubble up so be careful it dose not rise over the top of the pan)
Mix well till all of the bubbles are ALL gone
Return to heat adding milk about the same amount as the can of tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
Dad always likes to put a little butter on his.
This is a favorite of mine and is Q&E and every one seems to have tomatoes onion and milk in there pantry.
The key thing in this soup is the baking soda, this takes all of the acidity out of tomatoes.
enjoy! :chef:
Guts

Tomato-Basil Bisque

2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. prepared pesto or 1/4 cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste

If using, cut basil into chiffonade. Put tomatoes and tomato sauce in a blender and whiz until pureed. Pour into a 2-quart saucepan and heat to a low simmer. Add pesto or basil, salt and pepper, and simmer 5 minutes. Optional toppings: crackers, sour cream. Makes 4 servings.

Tomato-Basil Bisque

2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 tbsp. prepared pesto or 1/4 cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste

If using, cut basil into chiffonade. Put tomatoes and tomato sauce in a blender and whiz until pureed. Pour into a 2-quart saucepan and heat to a low simmer. Add pesto or basil, salt and pepper, and simmer 5 minutes. Optional toppings: crackers, sour cream. Makes 4 servings.

Oh this looks great! It could help me feed my basil addiction! :pig: Thanks!

This is not my recipe, it was on the internet, discussing MSG and this was part of the talk. Looks really involved and interesting. My own tomato soup is very simple and I do not even use tomato. I use tomato juice. Takes me 20 minutes to make. And the only reason it takes that long is because I add rice.
Tomato Soup
Gary Danko's Recipe:
Roasting tomatoes increases their umami taste. In this recipe from Gary Danko, chef at San Francisco's Restaurant Gary Danko, the addition of tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce (based partially on umami-rich anchovies), soy sauce and grated Parmesan pumps up the rich, savory taste. When using canned tomatoes, Mr. Danko prefers to use whole tomatoes in purée, imported from Italy. However, canned whole tomatoes in juice will work as well.
Yield: Serves 6 (about 8 cups)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes total
2 pounds plum Roma tomatoes or 3 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
6 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
3 small yellow onions (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 stalk celery or ½ fennel bulb (about 4 ounces), cut into ¼-inch dice
¼ cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2-3 cups chicken broth, vegetable stock or water
4-6 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 fresh mint leaves, chopped
¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
• Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

• If using fresh tomatoes, wash, dry and core them. If using canned tomatoes, drain tomatoes, reserving the purée or juice. Halve the tomatoes lengthwise.

• Divide tomatoes between 2 shallow baking pans, arranging them cut-side down in a single layer without crowding. Sprinkle the garlic, onions, salt and thyme over the tomatoes and drizzle with oil.

• Roast until tomatoes are slightly browned and tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.

• Put the celery or fennel, tomato paste, ketchup, Worcestershire, Tabasco and soy sauce in a blender. Add some of the roasted tomato mixture and stock and blend until smooth. Strain through a medium strainer into a pot, pressing the solids with the bottom of a ladle or a rubber spatula to remove the seeds and small skin particles. Working in small batches, continue to purée and strain the remaining tomato mixture, the reserved purée or juices from the can and the remaining stock into the pot, using 2 cups of liquid total.

• Bring soup to a slow simmer over medium-high heat, stirring to combine, about 10 minutes. Thin with additional stock if necessary. Correct salt as needed.

• Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of basil, mint and cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom