Jill's Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Had this for lunch at the club where my parents live and just had to attempt replicating it at home. And this is the perfect time of year to make this - it's very "harvesty":)

2 butternut squash (about 4 lbs.)
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 c. chicken stock or broth
2 c. water
1-1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves

Cut squashes in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Brush with olive oil and place, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast the squash at 350F for 1 hour until tender. Handle with an oven mitt; scoop the flesh from the shell with a spoon and place in a large mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl, blend together the stock and water. Add a little minced garlic if desired. Puree the squash in a blender or food processor with the liquid in batches, adding liquid as needed, until smooth (this can also be done in the cooking pot with a stick blender). Add the salt & pepper, onion powder and tarragon. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook over very low heat about an hour, stirring occasionally. Serves 8-10.

this looks really good fraidy, thanks for posting. i have lots of sage in the herb garden; i may try making it with sage instead of tarragon.

serve it with a dollop of chive sour cream on top?

buckytom said:
this looks really good fraidy, thanks for posting. i have lots of sage in the herb garden; i may try making it with sage instead of tarragon.

serve it with a dollop of chive sour cream on top?

Sure, top it with sour cream! Use sage if you prefer it; I was simply replicating the soup I had and the taste was tarragon.

Lovely to cut the bulbous ends off, take the seeds out, and use the hollowed bowls the serve the soup in. Roast as above of course, but the bowls and narrower part are separate. Love the idea of sage and sour cream too.

You can do the same thing with a whole pumpkin too. Yummy and pretty.

Ellen said:
You can do the same thing with a whole pumpkin too. Yummy and pretty.

I wish I could remember where I first heard of a whole pumpkin with strings removed and seeded, then baked and then cream and chicken stock was added and the pumpkin "meat" was shredded into the soup. The pumpkin shell was the tureen in which the soup was served. Seems to me I recall reading Martha Washington prepared (or had prepared) something along these lines. I'm not describing this right but I think you'll get the general idea.

Fraidy

Back
Top Bottom