Katie's Homemade Chicken Stock Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Here's the recipe I was referring to in the thread "legend..." started on chicken soup. The recipe calls for miscellaneous chicken parts but, many times I've used a whole chicken when they go on sale for 49-cents a pound. When I use the whole chicken, I remove the meat and chunk it and save it for use in casseroles and chicken pizzas, tacos, etc. Kinda kill 2 birds with one stone. Sorry, had to say that "bird" thing.:LOL: This IS about chicken, after all.

KATIE’S RICH HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK

(Makes about 7 pints)

3½ to 4 lbs. misc. chicken bones, with some meat
1 large onion, peeled and halved
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large celery rib, about 4 oz., coarsely chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed with a knife blade
2 cups dry white wine (I used Livingston Cellars White Chardonnay)
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs fresh parsley
3 sprigs fresh thyme
4½ quarts cold water

Bring bones, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, wine, bay leaf, and water to a boil in 12-quart stockpot over medium-high heat, skimming fat or foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, continuing to skim surface as necessary. Add parsley and thyme; continue to simmer until stock is rich and flavorful, about 2 hours longer, continuing to skim surface as necessary.

Remove from heat and strain through a large-mesh strainer to remove bones and solids. Allow broth to cool and then strain through several layers of cheesecloth or through paper coffee filters. Chill and remove fat. At this point, if you want a richer stock, return it to a pan and reduce to the consistency you wish.

Note: Stock can be canned or frozen. To can the stock, ladle the stock into sterilized pint jars – leaving 1-inch headspace – and process in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and allow canner to cool on its own. When cool, remove jars, check lids and when fully cool test lids and store appropriately.

If you have room in your freezer and wish to freeze your stock or are not a “canner,” fill the prepared jars as above and freeze. Enjoy your handiwork. It’s worth the effort.

I'm definitely trying it next time!

I also noted that you don't use salt. I don't either because I like to have unsalted broth to make gravy with brined poultry.

I rarely use salt when I make stock/broth because I'm never sure how I'm going to use it. I prefer to salt it when it's added to the final recipe. However, I do add a sprinkle of salt to a "tasting" spoonful when it's done to make sure the intensity of flavor is what I want.

During the winter, I find it necessary to have some fat in soups...etc to have them heat to hot. How does the wine effect the temperature?

I usually make chicken stock using a whole chicken. Chicken bones? Where do they come from? Are you taking raw meat from say the chicken breast and using those bones?

StirBlue said:
During the winter, I find it necessary to have some fat in soups...etc to have them heat to hot. How does the wine effect the temperature?

I usually make chicken stock using a whole chicken. Chicken bones? Where do they come from? Are you taking raw meat from say the chicken breast and using those bones?
When I don't use a whole chicken, I keep a zipper bag in the freezer where I put the bones left from boning breasts, thighs, etc., along with wing tips and necks I remove from whole chickens before I roast them. When my bag is full enough, I make stock.

The wine should have no effect on the temp and am curious as why you think it would. Can you elaborate on that, please?

Last edited:
Katie,
I'm due to make some stock and love your recipe..I've used one similar,and debated about using some wine..I didn't, drat!!! Well, this time i'm going for it..Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us.

kadesma

Katie E said:
The wine should have no effect on the temp and am curious as why you think it would. Can you elaborate on that, please?

I have seen chefs add wine to their sauces and they seemed to incorporate and thicken much faster. And they say that the alcohol cooks off and leaves much added flavor. With the alcohol cooking off would it tend to cook the food hotter? Maybe an alternative to adding the fat???

Katie - lovely recipe! I will have to use the addition of wine next time. Basically all I do different is roast the bones first. It really makes a nice rich stock.

LOL on adding salt when tasting - I do the same thing.

Katie, that's almost exactly the way I make my stock. The only difference I noticed is that I add whole peppercorns. I use box wine (chard.). I like the idea to add the herbs later in the process.

Thanks a bunch. I started putting together some guidelines for myself to follow. Got it from the cooking links area and also in the forum. I will also incorporate this into it.

:)

kitchenelf said:
Basically all I do different is roast the bones first. It really makes a nice rich stock. quote]

Probably a stupid question, but how do you roast the bones?

Spread them out on a cookie sheet or roasting pan and put them into a 400 F oven until they brown.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom