Katie's New England Clam Chowder (canned clams)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Thanks for reminding me, Connie. I almost forgot. Here's the recipe. Enjoy!

KATIE’S NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
(Serves 4)​
2 (6 ½-oz.) cans minced clams
1 (8-oz.) bottle clam juice
3 medium russet potatoes, cut into ½-in. chunks
½ tsp. fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
4 strips thick bacon, diced
½ cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Drain clams, reserving juice in a large measuring cup. Set clams aside in the refrigerator. Add bottled clam juice to reserved juice to measure at least 4 cups. Add water if necessary. Set aside.

In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, cook minced bacon until almost crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Add chopped onion and garlic to bacon drippings in pan and sauté until just tender. Whisk in flour and stir to coat vegetables. Add broth and thyme to pan and stir until slightly thickened. Add potatoes.

Cover and simmer until potatoes are almost tender; about 10 minutes. At this point add clams, cooked bacon, cream and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook about 2 minutes until heated through.

Shoot. I only have chopped clams :wacko:
;)
All these chowder recipes. Yummy :)

Don't worry Pacanis, have had many clam chowders and made some, and usually start with the raw clams (called quahogs here) and chop them. In fact I prefer somewhat larger pieces of clams than what I think of as a mince. I think it gives more flavor and better texture that way.

But there are as many preferences for clam chowder as there are eaters of the stuff.

And they are almost all wonderful. So don't sweat the small stuff, just enjoy.

This looks really good Katie! I will be trying it soon. I have the clams and potatoes but need most of the rest! James doesn't like clam chowder, so that leaves more for me!

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom