Kielbasa Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dartssnake

Assistant Cook
I used to make this soup from an old recipe from a local Pittsburgh radio personality, but I had some further thoughts and enhanced it. Enjoy!

Enhanced Kielbasa Soup
Ingredients
1 lb. Kielbasa (or your favorite smoked sausage), diced in ½ inch cubes or smaller
½ C. finely diced Onions
Finely diced Garlic, to taste (3, 4, or 99 cloves)
2 T. Butter
1 Medium head of Cabbage, quartered, cored and 3 of the quarters sliced in ½ inch strips, reserving one quarter
6 Cups Chicken Stock (Homemade is best but store-bought broth works)
1-2 cans of Beer (I used Yuengling, and pretended I needed 3 cans for the soup, nyuk nyuk)
1-2 C. Potatoes (Yukon Gold are great), diced in ½ inch cubes or smaller
1-2 C. Carrots, diced in ½ inch cubes or smaller
1 tsp Dried Parsley
½ tsp Paprika (hot or smoked or both are options)
Black Pepper to taste
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 Large Bay Leaf
1-2 T Caraway Seeds (for flavor and reduced gas production)
Preparation
1. Blanch the Kielbasa in boiling water briefly, to remove excess grease, drain and set aside.
2. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, over medium heat, melt the Butter and sauté the Onions and Kielbasa until the Kielbasa begins to brown on the edges, then add the garlic and continue to sauté until the garlic is opaque, further seasoning the mixture with Parsley, Paprika, Black Pepper, Garlic and Onion Powders.
3. Add the ½ –inch-sliced Cabbage to the pot, and continue cooking, stirring until the cabbage wilts slightly, then add the Chicken Stock and the Beer, and bring to a slow boil.
4. Add the Potatoes and Carrots, and cook 15-20 minutes, until Potatoes and Carrots are tender. While that is cooking, slice the remaining Cabbage quarter in slivers, like sauerkraut, and add it to the pot
5. As with most soups, this soup is best after refrigerating and reheating

wow, that does sound good. i like the idea of using cabbage in the soup. it's a natural match for kielbasa.

copied and saved. thanks darts.

What was the old recipe? Or should I say what did you inhanced. Just curious
Love cabbage, My dad just gave me huge head got to figure out what Im going to do with it. thanks

We make a simpler version at least once a month (if not more).

Beer (A good Ale)
Water
Carrots
Kielbasa
Green Cabbage
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Farmhouse Mustard
Horseradish
Black Pepper
Kosher Salt

I start the carrots early, giving them a half hour head start once the liquids reach a simmer. Then I add the diced kielbasa and minced cabbage. After another half hour, I add the small-dice potatoes which take about a half hour.
The last step for me is to remove about 1/4 of the soup and puree it. This is then added back to the soup to give it body. The trick is to use only enough fluids to cover the solids while cooking, which will ensure a hearty soup. The remaining ingredients are added at the end to taste before serving.

Such an easy dish that lasts all week. Since the only fat is the small amount that comes from the Kielbasa, it lends a perfect mouth-feel once the pureed portion is added back (and absorbs it). It's almost entirely vegetables too. One pot, one knife, one cutting board. Start it by 5:30, and it's ready shortly after 7. I like my carrots in soups/stews to be meltingly soft, so I give them extra time - but this dish can easily be done in one hour - adding the carrots, kielbasa, and cabbage all at once.

The caraway sounds like a great idea - I'm going to try it in ours next time!

Back
Top Bottom