Leek And Spinach Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne

Senior Cook

LEEK AND SPINACH SOUP

So delicious, and good for a party because it can be made ahead.

Serves 6-8.

2/3 cup leeks, thinly sliced, white portion only
1 small onion, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 cups chicken broth
Kosher salt to taste
6 ounces fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Fresh chives for garnish, if desired

Croutons for garnish, if desired

n a medium saucepan cook leeks and onion in butter until vegetables are tender but not brown. Stir in sliced potatoes, chicken broth and salt. Increase heat and bring just to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat.

In a food processor, puree half the mixture until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat with remaining mixture and set aside.

In a pot of boiling, salted water, blanch spinach for about 1 minute, until leaves are tender. Strain. Squeeze out any excess water from the spinach and place in a food processor. Add a small amount of the potato leek mixture to the spinach in the processor bowl and process until the mixture is smooth. Combine the leek and spinach mixtures, and season with salt and pepper to taste. SOUP MAY BE REFRIGERATED AT THIS POINT IF SERVING ANOTHER DAY.

When ready to serve, add remainder of cream and milk to soup, and stir to combine. Warm over medium heat, stirring constantly. Serve with chopped chives and croutons, if desired.

Last edited:
Thanx Anne

Thanx Anne

Looks delicious.
I will add this, to my collection.

Mel

I just copied this... it sounds so wonderful.

I am also lucky that I purchase spinach (and all other veggies) from the farmers (New York and New Jersey) at the Greenmarket.

You could also substitute Swiss Chard for the spinach. It is similar in texture and flavor to spinach (not quite as bitter).

Back
Top Bottom