Leek, Tomato, Bread Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
We love zuppa here so this will warm you and please your mouth.
You need 6 cups of chicken broth, cut and clean 2 med leeks.then chop them fine. Pour3 tab. evoo into large pot.add leeks cook stirring often over med-low heattil softened. about 5 min then add3-4 large garlic cloves crushed and a pinch of red pepper flakes add2 cups of chopped canned Italian tomatoes and the juice,and the chicken broth, bring to a simmer. Cook 15-20 min. stir now and then. add some salt and a little pepper Now stir in 1/2 loaf day old bread that has been cut into 1 in cubes or 4 cups. I like to use Italian whole wheat if I can find it. add the bread into the zuppa, and cook 20 min adding more bread if you want remove from the heat add1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves let the zuppa stand for about 10-15 min after you add the basil..Serve ths baby hot and drizzle each bowl with more evoo
enjoy
kades

zuppa lover here too, and this one sounds cinchy to make too, with not many ingredients! what does the bread do for the soup, thicken it? how does the wheat bread add to the overall flavor?

kades, i was just thinking today, that if i could eat like you do, or follow your recipes for one straight month, it would be a much improved gastronomic year for me right there! :)

zuppa lover here too, and this one sounds cinchy to make too, with not many ingredients! what does the bread do for the soup, thicken it? how does the wheat bread add to the overall flavor?

kades, i was just thinking today, that if i could eat like you do, or follow your recipes for one straight month, it would be a much improved gastronomic year for me right there! :)
The bread thickens the soup and I mostly use the white Italian or French that I have left over. The pal who shared this with us uses wheat with everything. I prefer the other 2.
I don't eat very much now. Dialysis seems to sit on my appetitie now. 1 egg and 2-3 bites of hash browns and a slice of wheat toast sugarless jam and I'm done. These recipes I tast as I go and by supper I'm full but many of them have been with me for years. nd I feel most are good for us.
kades

Back
Top Bottom