"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Master Chef

Instead of potato, I use carrot, it makes it sweeter. Grate one or two. I like a quarter to a half cup of dry sherry. I love my immersion blender for this.

As a garnish, when putting it on the table, a dollop of sour cream, right at the last minute so it doesn't break.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Mine is simple, I peel, cube, dress with Evoo then roast, blitz with turkey neck stock, pass then heat. I serve with a bowl of home made beetroot and parsnip chips for dipping.
Really simple and delish - I love the idea of serving with the root vegetable chips on the side.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I cannot vouch for this recipe as I have not made it, but a good friend posted this on her food blog, so I trust her.

Butternut Squash Soup

Easy peasy. Tastes pretty good. Do not make the mistake I made and use chicken broth. Honestly, I could have sworn that said chicken broth. In any event, chicken is the dominant taste when you use chicken broth. It is also salty. I'm going to make this again when I can read.

Here's the particulars.
Serving size: 1 cup
KCalories, 82
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 1
Fat, 0g
Carbs, 19g
Dietary Fiber, 3g
Protein, 3g

Ingredients
32 oz. vegetable broth, low sodium
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped in 1" cubes
1/2 apple, peeled, cored and diced in 1" cubes
1/2 onion, peeled and diced in 2" slices
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place broth, squash, apple and onion in a stock pot and boil until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool at least 15 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients thoroughly. Or put in blender in batches. Return to pot. Season with salt (be careful if you didn't use low-sodium broth) and pepper. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg as a garnish before serving. Can be served warm, cold, or room temperature.

Tags
None