Looking for Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Late Baker

Assistant Cook
I am on the hunt for a good butternut squash recipe. I have tried a few different recipes and they just didn't hit the mark. I had the soup at a restaurant a year ago and it was amazing, with truffle oil drizzled on top. Ever since I have been trying to find a recipe to match the flavor of that soup. Anyone have any suggestions or a great recipe I could try?

Drummin' Up Dishes
The Late Baker

No truffle oil on this one, but it's been a hit with everyone I've served it to.

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

Serves 4-6

1 medium-sized butternut squash

1/2 yellow onion, diced

1-2 bartlett pears, peeled, seeded, and cubed

1 - 2 tsp curry powder

1/2 to1 tsp powdered ginger (try fresh if you have it!)

1/2 tsp cinnamon

4 good turns on the black pepper mill

salt to taste

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

cilantro or chives for garnish

1.Quarter and seed the squash and rub with olive oil, salt and pepper then roast at 400 degrees until soft, about 30-40 minutes. Let cool and scoop out the flesh. (You can do this up to 3 days ahead of time.)

2. Saute the onion and pear until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add the curry, cinnamon, and ginger and let them toast for a minute, then add the squash. Add the chicken or vegetable broth and let it all simmer for another 10 minutes.

3. Puree the soup with an immersion blender (my preferred method) or in a blender (but be careful to do it in small batches...splattering liquids are HOT!) Add the cream and stir.

4. Feel free to garnish with cilantro or chives and a little more cream.

Thank you

Pears. . .I would have never thought to add pears. I can't wait to try this and I will respond in a couple of days. I like to try new recipes and share with my family to get several opinions.
Thank you for the help.

Drummin' Up Dishes
The Late Baker

This is my favorite

Curried Squash Soup
4 tbsp. butter
2 c. finely chopped yellow onions
4-5 tsp. curry powder
2 med. butternut squash (3 lbs.)
2 apples, peeled & chopped
3 c. chicken stock
1 c. apple juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter, add onions and curry and cook over low heat until onions are tender. Peel and cut squash. When onions are tender, pour in stock, add squash and apples and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Strain soup, reserve liquid and puree the solids, adding cooking stock until the puree is smooth. Return puree to pot, add apple juice and cooking stock until soup reaches desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: approximately 1 quart.

I see both these recipes call for curry powder. That is not something I usually cook with and really don't want buy a jar just for one recipe. Is it a crucial flavor or is there something else that can be substituted?

I see both these recipes call for curry powder. That is not something I usually cook with and really don't want buy a jar just for one recipe. Is it a crucial flavor or is there something else that can be substituted?

Leave out the curry. I like a bit of ground cumin and chili powder in my squash soups.

Mine is simple, I peel, cube, dress with Evoo then roast, blitz with turkey neck stock, pass then heat. I serve with a bowl of home made beetroot and parsnip chips for dipping.

In my mind there really is no substitute and it adds great flavor. Just find a supermarket or health store in your area that sells bulk spices and herbs. Buy only what you need and save lots of money!

I made squash-apple-cheddar soup today and it is delicious....

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1 large white potato, diced
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash, fresh or frozen
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup apple cider
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
Crusty bread, for serving (optional)

Directions
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the onion, apples, potato and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the sage and flour. Add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened. Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the potato is soft, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the cheese to the soup and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Puree in a blender in batches until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the prosciutto, more cheese and chives, if using. Serve with bread, if desired.

Pictures of this can be found on my blog
http://bakingforachange.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
I made squash-apple-cheddar soup today and it is delicious....

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 medium apples, thinly sliced
1 large white potato, diced
1 1/2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash, fresh or frozen
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup apple cider
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
Chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
Crusty bread, for serving (optional)

Directions
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium-low heat and add the onion, apples, potato and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Stir in the sage and flour. Add the cider and cook over high heat, stirring, until thickened. Add the broth and milk, cover and bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the potato is soft, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the cheese to the soup and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Puree in a blender in batches until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the prosciutto, more cheese and chives, if using. Serve with bread, if desired.

Pictures of this can be found on my blog
Starting from Scratch
That sounds fabulous. Copied and saved!

Instead of potato, I use carrot, it makes it sweeter. Grate one or two. I like a quarter to a half cup of dry sherry. I love my immersion blender for this.

As a garnish, when putting it on the table, a dollop of sour cream, right at the last minute so it doesn't break.

Mine is simple, I peel, cube, dress with Evoo then roast, blitz with turkey neck stock, pass then heat. I serve with a bowl of home made beetroot and parsnip chips for dipping.

Really simple and delish - I love the idea of serving with the root vegetable chips on the side.

I cannot vouch for this recipe as I have not made it, but a good friend posted this on her food blog, so I trust her.

Butternut Squash Soup

Easy peasy. Tastes pretty good. Do not make the mistake I made and use chicken broth. Honestly, I could have sworn that said chicken broth. In any event, chicken is the dominant taste when you use chicken broth. It is also salty. I'm going to make this again when I can read.

Here's the particulars.
Serving size: 1 cup
KCalories, 82
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 1
Fat, 0g
Carbs, 19g
Dietary Fiber, 3g
Protein, 3g

Ingredients
32 oz. vegetable broth, low sodium
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped in 1" cubes
1/2 apple, peeled, cored and diced in 1" cubes
1/2 onion, peeled and diced in 2" slices
salt and pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place broth, squash, apple and onion in a stock pot and boil until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool at least 15 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend ingredients thoroughly. Or put in blender in batches. Return to pot. Season with salt (be careful if you didn't use low-sodium broth) and pepper. Add a pinch of ground nutmeg as a garnish before serving. Can be served warm, cold, or room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom