Looking for homemade Tomato Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Hi all. I got hooked on tomato soup. I need to know how to make it from canned ingredients. I have crushed, paste, pureed, sauce, diced, whole peeled tomatoes. Would like to make soup from some of these. I do not have a blender or food processor. Chunky soup is fine with me. Also have a few cans of Ro-tel to spice it up.

Anyone have any recipes?

Here's a recipe I copied from a TV cooking show with Jacques Pepin. It's quick and delicious.

TOMATO SOUP

2 Tb Olive oil
¼ Lb Pancetta – diced
1 Ea Carrot - diced
1 Ea Onion - diced
1 Stk Celery - diced
2 Cl Garlic - minced
2 Tb Flour
4 C Chicken broth
16 Oz Tomato
½ Tb Thyme
½ Tb Rosemary
½ Tb Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
TT Salt & Pepper

Sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is browned.

Sauté the vegetables in the fat over medium high heat until they begin to brown.

Stir in the flour and cook for two - three minutes.

Add the broth and deglaze the pan.

Add the tomato, herbs and spices.

Cook for 30 - 45 minutes.

Use a blender or hand blender to puree the soup.

Strain to remove the rosemary.

If you are in a hurry you can use a jar of your favorite tomato based pasta sauce or a can of crushed tomatoes and a packet of GOYA chicken flavored bouillon thinned with a little water and or heavy cream.

Last edited:
If you are in a hurry you can use a jar of your favorite tomato based pasta sauce and a packet of GOYA chicken flavored bouillon thinned with a little water and or heavy cream.

Thats exactly what I do when Im in a pinch. (Different boullion, but same concept)
In fact, just had it this morning.

Waving wildly!!! That's the best tomato soup I've ever tasted! In my opinion, the recipe needs to be followed exactly, except I only use 1 Tbs. sugar.:yum:

Yes! I've even made it with just a tsp of sugar.

My favorite Tomato soup is the Tomato Basil soup they serve at Le Madeline restaurants. This is the best recipe I can find for a copy-cat.

4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed

4 cups tomato juice.

12-14 fresh, washed basil leaves

1 cup heavy cream

1 stick sweet, unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Combine tomatoes and tomato juice in a saucepan. Simmer 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.

Puree, along with the basil leaves and pepper, in blender, food processor, or with a hand-held food blender.

Return to saucepan and add cream and butter, while stirring over low heat, until cream and butter are incorporated.

CD

Ooh, good thread.

I recently had my first ever grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, and I loved it !

I'd heard about it so many times, but for some weird reason just never managed to make it, or was offered it.

But a few weeks ago when my family was under the weather, my wife and son made it together (a can of Progresso creamy tomato soup, and garlic grilled cheese sammiches) and I was hooked.

I see what all the fuss was about. So gooood.

Ooh, good thread.

I recently had my first ever grilled cheese and tomato soup combo, and I loved it !

I'd heard about it so many times, but for some weird reason just never managed to make it, or was offered it.

But a few weeks ago when my family was under the weather, my wife and son made it together (a can of Progresso creamy tomato soup, and garlic grilled cheese sammiches) and I was hooked.

I see what all the fuss was about. So gooood.

Classic, Classic Comfort Food.:pig:

I did a LOT of experimenting with the soup recipes. This is my version, my wife, son, and I love it...

3 Tb. Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
3 Tsp. Garlic Granuales
1-1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Dried Basil
1/2 Tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 Tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
1 6 oz. Can, Tomato Paste
2 28 oz. Cans, Tomato Puree
1 10-12 oz. Can, Rotel
1 15 oz. Can, Chicken Stock/broth
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
2-1/2 cups, Whole Milk

Note:You need a large enough pot so itt doesn't bubble over when adding Baking Soda.
Add Olive oil to pot. Heat. Add onions. Saute slowly, just 'til turning golden. Add dried spices. Stir for 2-3 minutes to remove raw taste. Add Tomato Paste. Stir to mix all. Give it a minute to warm up. Add Chicken stock/broth, Tomato Puree, And Rotel. Mix, and allow 5 minutes to warm up. Add Baking Soda and start mixing with a wire wisk for several minutes. ( As the tomatoes warm up, the Baking Soda will start bubbling. Used to neutralize the acid) Bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, covered. Stirring occasionally. Add milk, stir in, allow to warm up, and you're done.

For my family, grilled cheese day comes a lot more often with this soup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom