Looking for some lite soup recipes please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: Thanks, V8 is my current "soup" with added celery and chili!

I don't really want meat in the soup and it must be really lite. V8 is a good shortcut as well as organic beetroot juice with added spices and vinegar for a cheats Barszcz! It you want to try it I posted a recipe for Barszcz.
If you have any more combo's please tell me :)
I just want lite soups more as a savoury drink since I don't really like sweet things and eating hearty thick soups all day won't be a good thing!

Try V-8 with some chunky salsa, seasoned like a Bloody Mary for a quick chunky vegetable gazpacho.

Add some cold cooked shrimp for a real treat.

Last edited:
Someone here at DC came up with the idea of the shrimp. It was awesome!

We have a little Portuguese Cafe that makes a Gazpacho with shrimp and it's really good! But I think I'll leave the shellfish for when we eat out, I always over or under cook it :LOL:

Thank you all for the fabulous ideas! I was getting really tired of all my own creations, it's nice to try someone else's recipes once in a while.

For a light winter soup, take a look at 'bisques'. Usually they're made with shellfish like lobster, shrimp, crab and crawfish, and as they're strained, are fairly light. but there are also all kinds of recipes for veggie bisques that would be even lighter.
Chowders are another category of soups that can be made 'light'.

For a light winter soup, take a look at 'bisques'. Usually they're made with shellfish like lobster, shrimp, crab and crawfish, and as they're strained, are fairly light. but there are also all kinds of recipes for veggie bisques that would be even lighter.
Chowders are another category of soups that can be made 'light'.

I'll look it up thanks for the idea. Didn't even think of Bisque.

I make this the day before I eat it to let the flavors mingle..
I combinbe 1-1lb.14 oz can of tomatoes 2-10-1/2 oz cans beef boullion 2 cups water 3-4 tab. copped onions, 1 bay leaf, 1 stalk of celery 6-8 cloves garlic i've smacked with a meat chopper or knife. salat and pepper to taste/ simmer for 30 min. strain and check seasonings serve with crackers hot is best.
enjoy
kades

I make this the day before I eat it to let the flavors mingle..
I combinbe 1-1lb.14 oz can of tomatoes 2-10-1/2 oz cans beef boullion 2 cups water 3-4 tab. copped onions, 1 bay leaf, 1 stalk of celery 6-8 cloves garlic i've smacked with a meat chopper or knife. salat and pepper to taste/ simmer for 30 min. strain and check seasonings serve with crackers hot is best.
enjoy
kades

Sounds good :)

I also like to take a spicy stock, heat it, then put out some chifonade of some kind of green (iceberg, romaine, spinach, chard), some chopped tomato, chives or thin sliced green onions, maybe some shaved, cooked meat or small shrimp, even maybe some canned sliced mushrooms or artichoke hearts. Then we build our own soup. Come to think of it, I haven't done that yet this summer.

I also like to take a spicy stock, heat it, then put out some chifonade of some kind of green (iceberg, romaine, spinach, chard), some chopped tomato, chives or thin sliced green onions, maybe some shaved, cooked meat or small shrimp, even maybe some canned sliced mushrooms or artichoke hearts. Then we build our own soup. Come to think of it, I haven't done that yet this summer.

That sounds fab thanks Claire!

What a great idea. I will have to try this some time when I have people over for dinner.

Mushroom & Barley Soup

This is a Mushroom & Barley soup that is fantastic. It's not heavy at all, yet's its filling and comforting. The broth is clear. The little scrap of paper that it's written on has seen better days but I'm pretty sure I got this from the LATimes website earlier this spring.

1/2 cup dried mushrooms, preferably shiitake or porcini
3/4 cup peeled and diced carrot
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup pearl barley
2 cups water
4 cups beef broth
Salt and pepper

Bring water to boil in stockpot. Add mushrooms and let soak for about 15 minutes, until they are re-hydrated.

Add the carrot, onion, celery and barley and beef broth and bring the liquid to a simmer over high heat.

Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, loosely cover and continue to cook for about 2 hours, until the barley is tender and the flavors are developed.

Add additional water or broth to the soup to thin as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom