"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Dinner Tonight: Roasted Garlic Soup with Chorizo with a Poached Egg | Serious Eats : Recipes

This soup is fantastic and the poached egg makes it divine

Old 08-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Thank you :) This does sound lovely. I'll leave out the chorizo though. If no one comes near me for a few days I think you know why
I got some really nice fresh garlic when I went to the supermarket today and I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for, now I know!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I make this the day before I eat it to let the flavors mingle..
I combinbe 1-1lb.14 oz can of tomatoes 2-10-1/2 oz cans beef boullion 2 cups water 3-4 tab. copped onions, 1 bay leaf, 1 stalk of celery 6-8 cloves garlic i've smacked with a meat chopper or knife. salat and pepper to taste/ simmer for 30 min. strain and check seasonings serve with crackers hot is best.
enjoy
kades
Old 08-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I make this the day before I eat it to let the flavors mingle..
I combinbe 1-1lb.14 oz can of tomatoes 2-10-1/2 oz cans beef boullion 2 cups water 3-4 tab. copped onions, 1 bay leaf, 1 stalk of celery 6-8 cloves garlic i've smacked with a meat chopper or knife. salat and pepper to taste/ simmer for 30 min. strain and check seasonings serve with crackers hot is best.
enjoy
kades
Sounds good

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #35
Master Chef

I also like to take a spicy stock, heat it, then put out some chifonade of some kind of green (iceberg, romaine, spinach, chard), some chopped tomato, chives or thin sliced green onions, maybe some shaved, cooked meat or small shrimp, even maybe some canned sliced mushrooms or artichoke hearts. Then we build our own soup. Come to think of it, I haven't done that yet this summer.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I also like to take a spicy stock, heat it, then put out some chifonade of some kind of green (iceberg, romaine, spinach, chard), some chopped tomato, chives or thin sliced green onions, maybe some shaved, cooked meat or small shrimp, even maybe some canned sliced mushrooms or artichoke hearts. Then we build our own soup. Come to think of it, I haven't done that yet this summer.
That sounds fab thanks Claire!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What a great idea. I will have to try this some time when I have people over for dinner.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #38
Head Chef

Mushroom & Barley Soup

This is a Mushroom & Barley soup that is fantastic. It's not heavy at all, yet's its filling and comforting. The broth is clear. The little scrap of paper that it's written on has seen better days but I'm pretty sure I got this from the LATimes website earlier this spring.

1/2 cup dried mushrooms, preferably shiitake or porcini
3/4 cup peeled and diced carrot
3/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup pearl barley
2 cups water
4 cups beef broth
Salt and pepper

Bring water to boil in stockpot. Add mushrooms and let soak for about 15 minutes, until they are re-hydrated.

Add the carrot, onion, celery and barley and beef broth and bring the liquid to a simmer over high heat.

Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, loosely cover and continue to cook for about 2 hours, until the barley is tender and the flavors are developed.

Add additional water or broth to the soup to thin as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, soup