Looking for some lite soup recipes please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I love a creamy and hearty soup, when I'm in the mood for it that is. I've been looking all over for new veggie soup recipes that are more like a broth or consomme for when I'm not actually hungry but more as a winter drink.
All the recipes I find either have meat, starch or cream in them.
Please could anyone give me some new ideas. I love all veg but I'm bored of my own soups and would love to try something new.

You should check out some Vietnamese Pho recipes. You don't have to load them up like they normaly do, the broth is great on its own. I make a fake pho using beef or chicken broth, garlic, star anice,a piece of cinamon stick and ginger. I simmer this down for about 20 minutes, then I just add whatever is in the fridge. Green onion, thinly slices peppers, mushrooms, celery, left over meat, anything will do. Heat until warm and eat, with fish or soy sauce. It isn't the real thing, but great none the less.

Last edited:
You should check out some Vietnamese Pho recipes. You don't have to load them up like they normaly do, the broth is great on its own. I make a fake pho using beef or chicken broth, garlic, star anice,a piece of cinamon stick and ginger. Then I just add whatever is in the fridge. Heat until warm and eat, with fish or soy sauce. It isn't the real thing, but great none he less.

Thanks, i'll look it up :)

There's a great recipe here somewhere for jalapeno soup, but I can't get the member's name to come up to search for it. I know I have it printed out though. Give me some time.

Here it is.
"From my files" lol

Cream of Jalapeno Soup

chop 3 jalapenos, discarding ribs/seeds as desired to control heat (I use seeds from 1 jalapeno only)
chop 1 small or 1/2 large yellow onion
chop or grate 1 carrot
In a 3-quart pot (or larger) saute these veggies over med/hi heat in 2 T of EVOO or unsalted butter until soft, about 4 or 5 min. Add a chopped clove of garlic if desired.
add 2 TBSP flour to veggies and stir to thicken the olive oil (make a roux)
3-1/2 c. water
1 14.5 oz can chicken stock
Remove the pot from heat and add the water and chicken stock, stirring constantly. Put the pot back onto heat and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Strain the soup and reserve the liquid. Puree the vegetables in a food processor or blender and add to the soup liquid. Place all back in the pot and stir well; if you are not ready to complete the soup at this point you can chill and freeze it or continue to simmer for a short while longer - 10 minutes or so.
Remove the simmering pot from heat. Stir in:
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tsp salt (add to taste)
2 TBSP freshly chopped cilantro
stir well to blend half-and-half with pureed stock.
Right before serving, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (colby/jack blend or monterrey jack is recommended) and stir until smooth.

A couple from my cookbook;

[FONT=&quot]Leftover Turkey Carcass Soup[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This soup can be made in a variety of ways simply by using different flavored carcasses. For an oriental flavor, use the carcass left over from Barbecued Teriyaki Turkey. For a Western Flavor, use the carcass from the Western Barbecued Turkey. For that traditional after Thanksgiving Turkey soup, use the carcass from a roasted turkey. Add whatever herbs & spices suit your tastes. Experiment a little. You will find that soup is only limited by your imagination.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 whole turkey carcass[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 each drumstick and thigh bones[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 wings from the cooked turkey[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 stalks celery, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 medium yellow onion, quartered, halved and separated[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 cup pearl barley[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cup long grain rice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place the turkey carcass, wings, and thigh and drumstick bones into a 4-quart stockpot. Cover with 1 gallon of water and boil with the lid on for 1 hour. Pour the resulting broth through a strainer to remove all bones. Return the broth to the pot. Add the rice and barley and boil for 30 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Remove any meat from the bones and add to the soup. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You must be very careful when picking the meat from the carcass. Otherwise, small bones will end up in the soup, and if your household is like mine, the person who most detests getting those small bones will find them in their soup bowl. It isn't pretty.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The meat from the carcass back is especially choice. Add 2 tsp. salt to the soup and taste. Add more salt if necessary. Serve with crusty French bread and butter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hamburger Soup[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This tasty soup is delicious, nutritious, easy, and fast. It warms the body on a cold November day. There are a few things you can do to make it even healthier, such as browning the beef with a lid on the pan. This retains the meat juices that can then be poured off and stored in the refrigerator. The fat will rise to the top, harden and can then be easily removed to provide a wonderful fat-free broth for gravies, soups, etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After the juice has been poured off, then brown the hamburger until it gets that rich brown color. This is called caramelizing and adds dramatically to the soup flavor. When the meat is browned, rinse under hot water to remove much of the fat. It's now ready for the soup.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These few extra steps take no more time at all. The meat cooks faster covered, which makes up for the rinse time. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 quarts water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb. Ground beef[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 medium carrots, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 medium yellow onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 large potatoes, cubed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 stalks celery, sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] tsp. Marjoram[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cloves garlic, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place the ground beef into a large pot and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the veggies, salt, and water. Bring to a gently boil and cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook for thirty minutes. Serve steaming hot with a crusty bread.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Adding butter makes this soup richer. But this will add calories as well as flavor. Similar results can be obtained using butter flavoring. It's really up to you. My wife prefers the butter, while I like the butter flavoring.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You can replace the butter with extra-virgin olive oil, add some fresh Roma tomato, and add a bit of Oregano and Basil to the soup. Garnish with shredded Parmesan and Chives. Voila, you have an Italian flavor. Or you can replace the potato with cabbage, and add a bit of Caraway Seed for something a little more Germanic.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hot & Sour Soup:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hot and sour soup is oriental in origin. It is more broth than substance and is used as an accompaniment to other oriental dishes. It can be made ahead and warmed in a chafing dish, or in the microwave.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Be careful to use quality stock for this soup to enhance its flavor and nutritive value. Then serve as an appetizer to the main dish.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 large chicken breasts with skin and ribs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tbs. chopped green onion or chives[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup white vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 hot dried chilies sliced lengthwise in half[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. soy sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove meat from ribs and cut into [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] inch cubes. Add the meat, skin, and bones to three quarts of boiling water.. Cover and simmer for ten minutes. Taste the broth. It should have a strong chicken flavor. Simmer longer to get more flavor from the bones and skin if necessary. Add the salt.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove the solid ingredients from the pot by straining into a bowl. Give the skins to your pets, set the meat aside for chicken salad, and discard the bones. Return the broth to its pan and add the peppers. Cook for an additional fifteen minutes. Taste the broth. If it is not hot enough, simmer for an additional ten minutes. Remove the peppers and discard. Add the vinegar and green onions. Cook for ten minutes and serve.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Won Ton Soup[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Won Tons are great little noodles that can be simmered in liquid, or fried. When simmered, or steamed, they resemble ravioli noodles, but more delicate. Of course in this book, we will be simmering them in broth. But because of their delicate nature, we need to be careful that the broth is not boiling rapidly to avoid breaking the noodles apart.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is the recipe to get creative with. You can fill won tons with just about anything you desire. In this recipe, we will use chicken. Also remember, oriental foods always seek a balance of flavors; and the soups are light in flavor, and usually less salty than American soups. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 pkg. Won Ton skins[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 lbs. cut up frying chicken [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup sliced and halved water chestnuts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup coarsely chopped bamboo shoots[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup diced onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 stalks celery, diced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] green pepper, chopped (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp. Ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. Soy sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scant dash of Chinese 5 spice powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cups fresh Bean Sprouts, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup peanut or sunflower oil + 2 tbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg, beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Skin and bone the chicken. Place the skin and bones in two cups of boiling water and cover. Turn heat down to simmer. Finely dice the chicken meat into small pieces. Heat 2 tbs. of the peanut oil in a steel wok, or large heavy skillet (I prefer seasoned cast iron if I'm not using my wok). Add the chicken and half of the salt. Cover with a lid and cook for about seven minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the cooked chicken to a large bowl (very large) and pour any juices from the pan into the boiling chicken stock.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Return the wok to the stove and reheat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers, bok choy, water chestnuts, and bamboo shoots. Stir fry on highest heat setting for five minutes without lid. Remove the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the chicken. Add the spices and soy sauce to the bowl and mix well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place the bean sprouts into the wok and cover. Add [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cup water to the wok. Cook for seven to ten minutes until the bean sprouts turn white and loose there translucent quality. Add to the meat and vegetable mixture and toss thoroughly. Place bowl where you can easily reach into it and let cool for ten minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remove the skin and bones from the broth and discard. Strain the broth through a fine sieve to remove any bone fragments. Add water to make four cups of broth. Use the broth as the soup stock. Bring broth to a boil, add chives to the boiling broth, cover and turn down to simmer. Fill and fold won ton skins (any left-over filling can be combined with fried or wild rice).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Folding the won tons is not difficult, but does require two or three practice won-tons to get into the swing of things. It is best to use multiple people to speed the process. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are step by step instructions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Separate won ton skins and lay side by side on a large clean surface. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Make egg wash by combining the raw egg and 2 tbs. water in a bowl, then whipping with a wire whisk or fork until well blended. Brush the won ton skins with the egg wash.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Place 1 tsp. full of filling into the center of a won ton skin.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Fold the top edge of the skin until it just covers the filling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Fold both sides toward the center and press lightly to seal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Fold the bottom upward and press lightly to seal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Place immediately into boiling liquid. Cook until the skins take on the characteristics of a cooked noodle. Serve as the first course in a Chinese meal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Egg Drop Soup:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This soup originated in the East. It boasts the subtle flavors of chicken stock, celery, onion, and ginger. The egg strands add body, texture and color, as well as nutrition to this soup. All I can say is that it is good stuff.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 cups chicken broth[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 cup finely chopped green onion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 large eggs well beaten[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 large button mushrooms, minced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 tsp. Ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a 2 quart pan, heat the broth to gentle boil. Add onion, ginger, and mushrooms. Cook for ten minutes. Turn the heat down until the water quits boiling. It cant be boiling or it will tear up the egg strands. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slowly pour the beaten egg into the broth, taking care to keep the bowl moving. The idea is to form long strands of egg. Do not stir until the egg is completely set.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Serve as an appetizer.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Beef, Wild Rice, & Mushroom Soup[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm going to go with the good stuff for this one. Quality ingredients aren't as critical with soup, but if you have them, use them. I don't give high-quality bones to the dog, even if they are cooked. Rather, I cut the meat from them and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]freeze '[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]em '[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]till I need 'em." [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For this soup, I like to use pre-cooked beef rib or steak bones. However, any good marrow-filled bone will do. The mushrooms have to be fresh and of good quality as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 quarts water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 pre-cooked (leftover) chine bones from a rib roast, with [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] connecting meat attached[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 large sweet-red onion (or white Vidalia if the red onions can't be had).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 clove garlic, slivered[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Black Pepper, finely ground[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]16 oz. fresh Cremini or button mushrooms (wild field mushrooms have a better flavor, but unless you know how to pick them, you may end up with severe poisoning)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cup wild rice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 stalks celery, washed & sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bring the water to a boil and add a tbs. Salt. Add the rice, cover, and cook for 30 minutes while slicing the mushrooms and celery. Add the bones to the water, cover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While the bones and rice are cooking, heat the oil in a skillet until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and celery to the skillet, cover, and cook over medium high heat, stirring every five minutes until the mushrooms are soft.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add the mushrooms and celery to the soup, cover, and find something to do for another hour or so. A simple dump cake would be a good thing to make at this time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After the hour has passed, correct the seasoning by adding additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a crusty garlic bread and your favorite beverage.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the Coobooks of Bob Flowers
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I hope you can use and enjoy the recipes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I have two that use apples in them that are really light and brothy.

Recipe 1

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
Several handfuls of chopped fresh spinach or baby spinach
3 stalks celery with leaves
1 cup alfalfa sprouts plus a little extra for garnish
2 tsp olive oil
2 tblsp chives
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp granulated garlic (sub fresh minced if desired)
1 tsp granulated onion (sub fresh minced if desired)
1 firm fleshed, semi-sweet apple such as gala or braeburn
sesame oil

Dice celery. On medium low heat, cook celery in the olive oil until it just starts to soften. If using fresh garlic and onion cook them with the celery. Add the water to the pan, stir around a couple times and transfer to a soup pot. Add spinach, alfalfa sprouts, ginger, garlic and onion (if using dried), chives and broth. Bring just barely to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. While it's cooking core and dice up the apple. After the fifteen minutes transfer soup immediately into serving bowls. Add the apple and a couple drips of sesame oil. Top with a pinch of alfalfa sprouts.

Recipe 2 (measurements are less than exact)

2 cups water plus 1 for later
2 large firm fleshed, strong flavored apples. You want ones with fairly thick skins that have a strong apple smell. I usually use red delicious for this.
2 stalks celery with leaves
a handful of fresh parsley leaves
1 small white onion
a few leaves of fresh basil
2 or so pinches of cinnamon
a pinch of mace
a pinch of coriander
a pinch of ginger
a pinch of cardamom
a dash of cloves (like, just a tiny little tap of it)
black pepper to taste
bean sprouts for garnish

Peal apples and place the peals in a pan with the two cups of water. Cover with a lid and boil at a medium high temp for 30 minutes. Check water and add more as needed. It's best if you have a clear lid to use so you can check the water without having to open the lid. After 30 minutes, strain the peals from the liquid. Add the cinnamon, mace, coriander, ginger, cardamom, cloves and black pepper to the liquid. Add the extra cup of water. Cover and return pan to burner at a low heat.

Dice the celery and onion and add to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. While it's cooking dice the apples and chop the basil. At the end of the 15 minutes add the apple, basil and parsley. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve and top with a few bean sprouts for garnish.

Note: The broth on this one comes out pretty mild. You might want to add a little salt. You can also add a couple drops of apple cider vinegar or another fruity vinegar, maybe even a splash of lemon or lime. I haven't tried it but it might also be interesting to use two separate types of apples for this. This one is still kind of a work in progress. It's good as is but seems to have some variations that might be interesting. If you try it and add something that really makes it wow, please let me know. :)

I have two that use apples in them that are really light and brothy.

Recipe 1

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
Several handfuls of chopped fresh spinach or baby spinach
3 stalks celery with leaves
1 cup alfalfa sprouts plus a little extra for garnish
2 tsp olive oil
2 tblsp chives
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp granulated garlic (sub fresh minced if desired)
1 tsp granulated onion (sub fresh minced if desired)
1 firm fleshed, semi-sweet apple such as gala or braeburn
sesame oil

Dice celery. On medium low heat, cook celery in the olive oil until it just starts to soften. If using fresh garlic and onion cook them with the celery. Add the water to the pan, stir around a couple times and transfer to a soup pot. Add spinach, alfalfa sprouts, ginger, garlic and onion (if using dried), chives and broth. Bring just barely to a boil and cook for 15 minutes. While it's cooking core and dice up the apple. After the fifteen minutes transfer soup immediately into serving bowls. Add the apple and a couple drips of sesame oil. Top with a pinch of alfalfa sprouts.

Recipe 2 (measurements are less than exact)

2 cups water plus 1 for later
2 large firm fleshed, strong flavored apples. You want ones with fairly thick skins that have a strong apple smell. I usually use red delicious for this.
2 stalks celery with leaves
a handful of fresh parsley leaves
1 small white onion
a few leaves of fresh basil
2 or so pinches of cinnamon
a pinch of mace
a pinch of coriander
a pinch of ginger
a pinch of cardamom
a dash of cloves (like, just a tiny little tap of it)
black pepper to taste
bean sprouts for garnish

Peal apples and place the peals in a pan with the two cups of water. Cover with a lid and boil at a medium high temp for 30 minutes. Check water and add more as needed. It's best if you have a clear lid to use so you can check the water without having to open the lid. After 30 minutes, strain the peals from the liquid. Add the cinnamon, mace, coriander, ginger, cardamom, cloves and black pepper to the liquid. Add the extra cup of water. Cover and return pan to burner at a low heat.

Dice the celery and onion and add to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. While it's cooking dice the apples and chop the basil. At the end of the 15 minutes add the apple, basil and parsley. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve and top with a few bean sprouts for garnish.

Note: The broth on this one comes out pretty mild. You might want to add a little salt. You can also add a couple drops of apple cider vinegar or another fruity vinegar, maybe even a splash of lemon or lime. I haven't tried it but it might also be interesting to use two separate types of apples for this. This one is still kind of a work in progress. It's good as is but seems to have some variations that might be interesting. If you try it and add something that really makes it wow, please let me know. :)

Perfect! Thanks PAG :) Broth like without meats or starch, exactly what I'm looking for!

I'm a big believer in some shortcuts. One for soup is V8. Add some left over meat and vegetables, and a sprinkle of boulion (do not salt if you do) if you so desire, and you have a very healthy, tasty tomato-based soup.

I'm a big believer in some shortcuts. One for soup is V8. Add some left over meat and vegetables, and a sprinkle of boulion (do not salt if you do) if you so desire, and you have a very healthy, tasty tomato-based soup.

:LOL: Thanks, V8 is my current "soup" with added celery and chili!

I don't really want meat in the soup and it must be really lite. V8 is a good shortcut as well as organic beetroot juice with added spices and vinegar for a cheats Barszcz! It you want to try it I posted a recipe for Barszcz.
If you have any more combo's please tell me :)
I just want lite soups more as a savoury drink since I don't really like sweet things and eating hearty thick soups all day won't be a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom