"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Certified Cake Maniac

LP's Chicken Noodle Soup For What Ails Ya!

Yesterday DH and I were starting to feel better from the flu we had over the weekend, but still not ready for full meals. So, I pulled some chicken and stock out of the freezer and threw together a pot of this and we ate when we felt like it. I just winged it for spices but found I really liked the Eastern flavours. We are both feeling much better today and I am sure it was the soup that made the difference!

LP's Chicken Noodle Soup
Olive or Peanut oil
5 - 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 onion, chopped fine
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, chopped fine
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock/broth)
4 - 6 cups chicken stock/broth
Seasonings to taste:
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Coriander
pinch Cinnamon
pinch Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper
2 tsps tarragon
Bay Leaf
2 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 cup uncooked small pasta

Chop the chicken into into one inch pieces. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil on the bottom of a heavy bottomed large pot. Add the chicken, onion, garlic and shallots, stirring quickly so meat doesn't stick but browns all over. Don't allow the onions and garlic burn.

Deglaze the pan with the white wine or stock, stirring to get all the bits off the bottom. Add stock, celery and all of the seasonings (except parsley, salt and pepper) and let simmer covered for about an hour or as long as you want, though you may have to add more stock or water.

Remove bay leaf and add pasta. Boil until pasta is cooked. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

LP, my daughter had pneumonia. Two lobes on her right side were filled with fluid. We thought we were going to lose her. I made a pot of chicken noodle soup and brought her just the broth for the first few days. The nurses (God bless them) would heat it up and get her to take a couple of sips every so often. Later as she began to feel better, I added the noodles as I knew she loved them. Little by little she was able to eat them.

The doctor told me that he truly belived that it was the chicken broth that saved her life.

When she finally came home, she insisted that I make another pot for her. I was only too happy to do it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Addie, for sharing that.

When I have asthma really bad (like I have the past week on top of the flu), chicken soup helps me more than inhalers, nebulizers, prednisone, and any other normal remedy.

I like these flavours because they are soothing but help. I would even try a little bit of hot pepper next time, but I really found this to help. Very different from the chicken soup I learned from my Mom!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Addie, for sharing that.

When I have asthma really bad (like I have the past week on top of the flu), chicken soup helps me more than inhalers, nebulizers, prednisone, and any other normal remedy.

I like these flavours because they are soothing but help. I would even try a little bit of hot pepper next time, but I really found this to help. Very different from the chicken soup I learned from my Mom!
Many years ago, a scientist examined chicken broth. He found that there is an enzyme in it that is very healthy for colds and other ailments. His closing sentence in his paper was, "Mother is right. Chicken broth for what ails you."
Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds fantastic Laurie...try some turmeric in it next time!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno Laurie,

Sounds as if you are an Italian Mom !

Thanks for posting this traditional classic Penicillin, only it tastes alot better than the Penicillin ... Truly does the Job too ...

Have a lovely week,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

glad you're on the mend lp! chicken noodle is the way forward,oy vey,my yiddishe grandmama prescribed it for everything,butter too,that was also her wonder drug,she swore by it for cuts & bruises.apparently chicken is a rich source of zinc & the noodles provide selenium.....both reinforce the immune system.
HARRY'S USELESS INFO:
the 12th century jewish sage,maimonides,recommended chicken soup for the treatment of hemorrhoids & leprosy.can you imagine if you had both?you wouldn't be able to sit down if your leg fell off!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That sounds mighty good!
I reckon two things that can make you feel better in most any situation is good chicken soup and/or liberal amounts of bourbon, applied as needed. Neither is likely to cure what ails you, but it sure does make you feel better!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
That sounds mighty good!
I reckon two things that can make you feel better in most any situation is good chicken soup and/or liberal amounts of bourbon, applied as needed. Neither is likely to cure what ails you, but it sure does make you feel better!
crack on hoot! i'm off to the shops to get me a chicken AND a bottle of makers mark
Old 07-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
LP, my daughter had pneumonia. Two lobes on her right side were filled with fluid. We thought we were going to lose her. I made a pot of chicken noodle soup and brought her just the broth for the first few days. The nurses (God bless them) would heat it up and get her to take a couple of sips every so often. Later as she began to feel better, I added the noodles as I knew she loved them. Little by little she was able to eat them.

The doctor told me that he truly belived that it was the chicken broth that saved her life.

When she finally came home, she insisted that I make another pot for her. I was only too happy to do it.
+1 Awww....or it was her mother's love that got her through.

Tags
chicken, recipe, soup

LP's Chicken Noodle Soup For What Ails Ya! Yesterday DH and I were starting to feel better from the flu we had over the weekend, but still not ready for full meals. So, I pulled some chicken and stock out of the freezer and threw together a pot of this and we ate when we felt like it. I just winged it for spices but found I really liked the Eastern flavours. We are both feeling much better today and I am sure it was the soup that made the difference! :cool: [B]LP's Chicken Noodle Soup[/B] Olive or Peanut oil 5 - 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs 1 onion, chopped fine 2-3 garlic cloves, minced 2 shallots, chopped fine 2 celery stalks, sliced 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock/broth) 4 - 6 cups chicken stock/broth Seasonings to taste: 1/2 tsp Cumin 1 tsp Coriander pinch Cinnamon pinch Nutmeg Salt and Pepper 2 tsps tarragon Bay Leaf 2 Tbsp fresh parsley 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta Chop the chicken into into one inch pieces. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil on the bottom of a heavy bottomed large pot. Add the chicken, onion, garlic and shallots, stirring quickly so meat doesn't stick but browns all over. Don't allow the onions and garlic burn. Deglaze the pan with the white wine or stock, stirring to get all the bits off the bottom. Add stock, celery and all of the seasonings (except parsley, salt and pepper) and let simmer covered for about an hour or as long as you want, though you may have to add more stock or water. Remove bay leaf and add pasta. Boil until pasta is cooked. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy! 3 stars 1 reviews