LP's Curried Cauliflower Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
This is a very mild soup though you can kick it up as much as you want! It is great for a cold winter's day.

1 medium head of cauliflower
3 medium potatoes
Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 tbsp (or to taste) curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 can coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste.

Remove leaves and bottom of the stock from the cauliflower and rough chop into small pieces. Peel potatoes and chop into 1/2 (roughly) pieces. Put all into a large heavy bottomed pot and cover with broth. You can use half broth and half water here, but just cover vegetables so they can cook. Add the curry and cumin and bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes break up and the cauliflower is tender.

Use a hand or regular blender to blend the soup. If you want to save some cauliflower florets for garnish, take them out before blending. Once blended to desired consistency, add coconut milk, salt and pepper. You can adjust curry seasoning now as well. I usually save a little of the coconut milk so that if it is too strong, you can add more. Heat soup through and serve.

Hope you enjoy this! :)

This is a very mild soup though you can kick it up as much as you want! It is great for a cold winter's day.

3 medium potatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 can coconut milk

Remove leaves and bottom of the stock from the cauliflower and rough chop into small pieces. Peel potatoes and chop into 1/2 (roughly) pieces. Put all into a large heavy bottomed pot and cover with broth. You can use half broth and half water here, but just cover vegetables so they can cook. Add the curry and cumin and bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes break up and the cauliflower is tender.

Use a hand or regular blender to blend the soup. If you want to save some cauliflower florets for garnish, take them out before blending. Once blended to desired consistency, add coconut milk, salt and pepper. You can adjust curry seasoning now as well. I usually save a little of the coconut milk so that if it is too strong, you can add more. Heat soup through and serve.

I'm sure we will love it. Thanks Laurie for sharing. I love Cauliflour and so do the kids.
ma

lpb, your curried cauliflower soup sounds just perfect for this miserable icky rainy weather! love the cauliflower/curry/cumin combination--warm you right up from the inside out.... :)

This sounds hood. Too bad I am the only one at this house who would eat it. I will have to make it and take it to a get-together in my crock pot. I'm sure others would love it. Thanks.

Thanks, Vit and Chopper!

Chopper, this freezes really well. You could make a batch, eat some and then put individual portions in your freezer for times when you are eating alone!

Vit, the coconut milk also adds to the flavour combo. I originally made it years ago with heavy cream, but when TB found out he couldn't have lactose, I switched to the coconut and like it better with the curry!

thanks, lpb! coconut milk, huh? okay, then--on your head.:) what else do you like to use it for?

We use it for lots of things as that and almond milk are about all TB can tolerate. Sometimes he allows himself goat's milk, but not often. We love coconut milk in our fruit smoothies but I think our favourite use is in ice cream! I will try and jot down our recipes for that as I redid some regular recipes with trial and error and they are just in my head! One is chocolate and the other is mocha flavoured!

If I try anything else with the coconut milk, I will let you know! :)

That will work! Make sure you cook the potato enough that it thickens it up nicely. You can even start the potato before the cauliflower!

Laurie, that sounds delicious :)

3 medium potatoes
1 tsp cumin
1 can coconut milk

Back
Top Bottom