Luke's Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 onion chopped (white or yellow)
2Tbsp of butter
4 cloves Garlic
1 tbsp flour
4.5 cups stock
1.5lbs (about 680grams) of mushrooms (oyster, crimini, portabella, any others that are in season.
6 FRESH Sage leaves
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream...
Salt and pepper of course and some fresh parsley to use as garnish :)

1) melt butter in large sauce pan or pot I use pot as there are a lot of mushrooms
2) add onion and garlic and cook for about 4min. You want the garlic and onion to be soft
3) stir in the flour and cook for about 1 min
4) gradually stir in stock
5) add all the mushrooms and bring the whole thing to a boil... Yes that is a lot of mushrooms lol
6)once it boils reduce the heat and let it simmer for a good 15min or grab a mushroom and until they are tender.
7) stir in sage... It should be chopped
8)remove a couple of ladles of the mushrooms I do 3-4 just mushroom no broth...
9)process the remainder of the soup in the pot in a blender or food processor until its smooth...
10) once its smooth return it to the pot as well as the ladles of mushrooms you took out.
11)You can now stir in the wine, cream, salt and pepper.
12)Now warm the whole soup but do not let it boil... Serve into bowls and add parsley as garnish :)

My buddy Luke posted this on FB and I'm going to try it tonight I think. Off to the produce store. I'll post what I used and my results.

Got the onions on right now. I picked up portobellos, crimini and some plain old white mushrooms. They were out of oyster and shiitake darn it.

OK, so I've done the basic part and set it on the back of the stove to cool a bit. I'm going to refrigerate and then heat and add cream right before serving. I also omitted the sage. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan. I tasted the basic soup and its KILLER. I'll post back after dinner.

Sounds good! One of the things I do is stock up on mushrooms (50% off, in season, whatever) and dehydrate them so I always have a variety of dried mushrooms on hand. When I rehydrate them, I save the "juice" (put it in ice cube trays in the freezer), so I can add that to mushroom soup.

This does sound good! I don't have access to varieties of mushrooms, except for button mushrooms, Portabellas and baby portabellas.

I think, for me, this recipe would be best (for me) with portabellas.

Is there any online site to buy dried fancy mushrooms? I love soup, and would love to make this recipe.

I think it would be great with rehydrated mushrooms. We LOVED it. I still have some for my lunch tomorrow so pix coming then.

matthew, mark, and john said that this totally was comfort food that entire first easter weekend until, well, you know...

thanks alix, copied and saved. i've beenl looking for a good mushroom soup recipe.

Thanks for posting this - it looks both simple & delicious.

What will make this even more fun for me to try is that not only does our local farmers market now have a local mushroom grower as a vendor (Shitakes & Neon-Yellow Oyster Mushrooms), but one of our local supermarkets regularly carries a cornucopia of fresh mushrooms - Portabellos (baby & regular), white button, Cremini, regular Oyster, Shitake, Pom-Pom, Lion's Mane, Maitake, & Enoki. I've been having lots of fun cooking with all of these.

Just got back from the farmer's market with a load of fresh mushrooms. This is on the menu for tonight. I'll post about the results afterwards. I'm using rehydrated mushrooms and fresh today.

Back
Top Bottom