"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
Executive Chef

You would probably get better results by putting the vegis in to roast with the bones after they roasted for the hour. If you cover the cooker, you might be defeating the purpose of allowing moisture to leave while concentrating the flavors.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I'm letting it reduce without the lid on top and added the better than bouillon and it's coming along!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Don't make too many changes at one time. One thing at a time and you can get a better understanding of the results.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I braise my bones first, and then put them in the roaster with water, bay, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, a little bit of red wine, red wine vinegar...let that cook at 250 overnight. Strain, and then skim the fat off the stock. Braising the bones first might help. Using the method, I've never had to "beef it up." Don't know about using the CP.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I braise my bones first, and then put them in the roaster with water, bay, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, a little bit of red wine, red wine vinegar...let that cook at 250 overnight. Strain, and then skim the fat off the stock. Braising the bones first might help. Using the method, I've never had to "beef it up." Don't know about using the CP.
Would you please describe how you braise the bones?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Executive Chef

@ Princess Fiona,

Yes, this is the thread for certain !

Now, I may a bit "loca" however, I believe there is another Beef Stock Thread ! ? It seems not to have shown your replies ... That is why I had mentioned it to you.

THANKS.
Interesting and informative post.

Best regards.
Margi.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Good Afternoon,

Le Cordon Bleu Fail Proof Recipe works for us:

4 litres water
1.5 Kilos Beef Bones
6 peppercorns
1 or 2 Leeks
2 tblsps. tomato paste
2 carrots
1 celery with its leaves chopped finely
finely chopped beetroot or turnip top greens
Onion
Aromatic Herbs
Bay Leaves 2
parsley
thyme
spices of choice

Simmer 4 to 5 hours.

Have a lovely day.
Margi.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Julia Child has a recipe almost exactly like that one Margi posted. Makes sense; she learned to cook in France. She tells you to roast the bones and vegis first.

I wonder how important the tomato paste is. It's the only ingredient that comes out of a can or jar.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Would you please describe how you braise the bones?
I don't know if "braise" is the right term--I put them in a large skillet on the stovetop and brown them on each side. It can get a bit smoky in the house--and depending on how much fat is on the bones, they can spatter. Then I put everything in the roaster (lid off) and fill it about 3/4 full with liquid, leave it overnight and drain in the a.m. Discard the veggies, put the stock in the fridge, skim the fat when chilled, and "poke" the marrow out of the bones for the dogs and the chickens! To make a beef-based soup, take some of the stock, add more liquid, veggies, etc., in a large stock pot. This makes a gelatinous stock, not a liquid stock. A friend who trained as a chef taught me how to make beefy stock this way. After the first time I made it, I was hooked. It is a very beefy stock, but it isn't a "I need stock for something tonight" kind of thing that you think of doing at 3:00 in the afternoon. I usually do it on the weekend and end up with 4-6 liters of stock that can be made into broth, and used for other things.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #20
Executive Chef

@ Tax Lady: Tomato Paste or Tomato in Beef Stock

Good Evening,

Firstly, I should have posted the instructions, since I posted the ingredients. Here are the instructions:

1. preheat oven to 230 centig degrees and slowly roast the meat bones for 40 mins. until the meat on bones is tender
2. add the quartered onion, 2 chopped finely carrots, 2 leeks finely chopped, and celery stalk minced to the roasting pan with the bones
3. put 4 litres of water in a stock pot and salt, and boil water, and then place on simmer flame low to medium. Add the roasted ingredients to the pot, and then combine the tomato paste 2 tblsps and 6 peppercorns and stir gently.
4. simmer 4 to 5 hours.
5. skim fat off top of the stock
6. place large bowl under strainer or sieve and press the solids, while the stock goes into a large bowl

*** The tomato paste or 2 finely chopped tomatoes in a coulis should be added for following reasons:

1) color to the stock
2. flavor to the stock and ingredients
3. Le Cordon Bleu indicated that tomato provides the acid balance required in the stock and the thicker texture, in addition this is French Mediterranean.

*** Makes more sense now ? You can use coulis however, I have found that the 2 tblsps of a good Italian paste, ecological brand creates a better texture and flavor. You can try both ! and make your own decisions.

Thanks for reply.
Margi Cintrano.

Tags
None