Making beef stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Eats Cheese

Senior Cook
Tomorrow I plan to begin making some beef stock. Ive got 2 really nice beef bones and some rib bones in my freezer. I think I know how I'm gonna do this I'm gonna roast the meaty bones for about an hour. Then put them in my slow cooker for about 48 hours along with some onions carrots and celery. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should add to the pot?

Tomorrow I plan to begin making some beef stock. Ive got 2 really nice beef bones and some rib bones in my freezer. I think I know how I'm gonna do this I'm gonna roast the meaty bones for about an hour. Then put them in my slow cooker for about 48 hours along with some onions carrots and celery. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should add to the pot?

LOL! Don't forget the water:LOL: Seriously, I like to add a bay leaf and some parsley or thyme to the stock. Garlic is good, too.

It's been cooking in my slow cooker about 24 hours. It still doesn't seem to have that nice beefy flavor. I've got 2 nice sized soup bones in there along with some rib bones. I've also added 1/2 a large onion and 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, 2 bay leaves, some pepper corns and about a clove of garlic. Im wondering if I need to add anything else. I'm tempted to add the chicken bones I have in the freezer but I'm afraid that will mess it up! Maybe I'll go buy another soup bone in the morning.

I sometimes "beef" mine up with some Better Than Boullion. Cheating? Perhaps. But after all that work...

A bit of worsterchester, maybe some red wine?

Last edited:
You would probably get better results by putting the vegis in to roast with the bones after they roasted for the hour. If you cover the cooker, you might be defeating the purpose of allowing moisture to leave while concentrating the flavors.

I'm letting it reduce without the lid on top and added the better than bouillon and it's coming along!

Don't make too many changes at one time. One thing at a time and you can get a better understanding of the results.

I braise my bones first, and then put them in the roaster with water, bay, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, a little bit of red wine, red wine vinegar...let that cook at 250 overnight. Strain, and then skim the fat off the stock. Braising the bones first might help. Using the method, I've never had to "beef it up." Don't know about using the CP.

I braise my bones first, and then put them in the roaster with water, bay, carrot, onion, garlic, celery, a little bit of red wine, red wine vinegar...let that cook at 250 overnight. Strain, and then skim the fat off the stock. Braising the bones first might help. Using the method, I've never had to "beef it up." Don't know about using the CP.
Would you please describe how you braise the bones?

@ Princess Fiona,

Yes, this is the thread for certain !

Now, I may a bit "loca" however, I believe there is another Beef Stock Thread ! ? It seems not to have shown your replies ... That is why I had mentioned it to you.

THANKS.
Interesting and informative post.

Best regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

Le Cordon Bleu Fail Proof Recipe works for us:

4 litres water
1.5 Kilos Beef Bones
6 peppercorns
1 or 2 Leeks
2 tblsps. tomato paste
2 carrots
1 celery with its leaves chopped finely
finely chopped beetroot or turnip top greens
Onion
Aromatic Herbs
Bay Leaves 2
parsley
thyme
spices of choice

Simmer 4 to 5 hours.

Have a lovely day.
Margi.

Julia Child has a recipe almost exactly like that one Margi posted. Makes sense; she learned to cook in France. She tells you to roast the bones and vegis first.

I wonder how important the tomato paste is. It's the only ingredient that comes out of a can or jar.

Would you please describe how you braise the bones?
I don't know if "braise" is the right term--I put them in a large skillet on the stovetop and brown them on each side. It can get a bit smoky in the house--and depending on how much fat is on the bones, they can spatter. Then I put everything in the roaster (lid off) and fill it about 3/4 full with liquid, leave it overnight and drain in the a.m. Discard the veggies, put the stock in the fridge, skim the fat when chilled, and "poke" the marrow out of the bones for the dogs and the chickens! To make a beef-based soup, take some of the stock, add more liquid, veggies, etc., in a large stock pot. This makes a gelatinous stock, not a liquid stock. A friend who trained as a chef taught me how to make beefy stock this way. After the first time I made it, I was hooked. It is a very beefy stock, but it isn't a "I need stock for something tonight" kind of thing that you think of doing at 3:00 in the afternoon. I usually do it on the weekend and end up with 4-6 liters of stock that can be made into broth, and used for other things.

Last edited:
@ Tax Lady: Tomato Paste or Tomato in Beef Stock

Good Evening,

Firstly, I should have posted the instructions, since I posted the ingredients. Here are the instructions:

1. preheat oven to 230 centig degrees and slowly roast the meat bones for 40 mins. until the meat on bones is tender
2. add the quartered onion, 2 chopped finely carrots, 2 leeks finely chopped, and celery stalk minced to the roasting pan with the bones
3. put 4 litres of water in a stock pot and salt, and boil water, and then place on simmer flame low to medium. Add the roasted ingredients to the pot, and then combine the tomato paste 2 tblsps and 6 peppercorns and stir gently.
4. simmer 4 to 5 hours.
5. skim fat off top of the stock
6. place large bowl under strainer or sieve and press the solids, while the stock goes into a large bowl

*** The tomato paste or 2 finely chopped tomatoes in a coulis should be added for following reasons:

1) color to the stock
2. flavor to the stock and ingredients
3. Le Cordon Bleu indicated that tomato provides the acid balance required in the stock and the thicker texture, in addition this is French Mediterranean.

*** Makes more sense now ? You can use coulis however, I have found that the 2 tblsps of a good Italian paste, ecological brand creates a better texture and flavor. You can try both ! and make your own decisions.

Thanks for reply.
Margi Cintrano.

Back
Top Bottom