"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
See the do patatoes have to be refrigerated thread - From what they are saying it is not OK. I would aslo think that a baked potato after being cut up and simmered a whaile would turn into mush.

AC

Old 10-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

AC, do you simmer it that long with all the ingredients in, or hold some back?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
See the do patatoes have to be refrigerated thread - From what they are saying it is not OK. I would aslo think that a baked potato after being cut up and simmered a whaile would turn into mush.

AC
Uhh, gotcha!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Executive Chef

good for you pacanis for trying to make soups, it is a skill that will serve you well..I make many soups and eat/drink them for breakfast, lunch and suppers.

oh, ChefJunes cookbook has an excellent recipe for making chicken soup which includes using a pressure cooker

but no, you do not brown the chicken parts and I would not remove the skin, but some defat the soup afterwards
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
General question:
Let's say I wanted to make chicken soup.
Would I still brown or sear the chicken pieces to start?
Should I remove the skin because it will add too much fat? ( my favorite part of the chicken)
Could I cut down on the 2 hour simmer time because it's chicken and not beef I am trying to cook until tender?
As you might have guessed, whether or not you brown the chicken depends upon whether you want a golden or a brown stock. In our family, we cook a whole chicken in the soup... skin, bones, meat, everything -- NOT browned. Add a large onion peeled and poked through with a knife, and 2 cloves in it, 3 carrots and 3 stalks of celery. Essential too, is a parsley root, and failing to find one, you need a whole bunch of parsley, wrapped in cheesecloth. The pot gets filled 3/4 with water (use a 10 - 12 quart pot).

Bring it to a boil, then lower to a bare simmer and let it cook for a couple of hours. Skim off the "impurities" that rise to the top.

In our family, we remove everything from the soup and serve a clear broth with matzo dumplings, kreplach, mondlen or home-made noodles. The chicken can be used for chicken salad or tetrazzini. The veggies are pretty much "dead." I often eat the carrots. the others, not so much.

The fat adds flavor. I prefer to leave it on/in, and then chill the soup. The fat congeals on top and you can remove it. So you have all the flavor, but not the fat itself.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I would aslo think that a baked potato after being cut up and simmered a whaile would turn into mush.

AC
Yes, but they make excellent thickener for Chowder!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Or you could roast da birds first...remove and reserve the meat till later towards the end of cooking...Make your stock from all of the remains...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting. It seems making chicken soup is a different animal than making beef soup... err, pun intended I guess.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Interesting. It seems making chicken soup is a different animal than making beef soup... err, pun intended I guess.

The possibilities are endless...you are only limited by your imgainition!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
As you might have guessed, whether or not you brown the chicken depends upon whether you want a golden or a brown stock. In our family, we cook a whole chicken in the soup... skin, bones, meat, everything -- NOT browned. Add a large onion peeled and poked through with a knife, and 2 cloves in it, 3 carrots and 3 stalks of celery. Essential too, is a parsley root, and failing to find one, you need a whole bunch of parsley, wrapped in cheesecloth. The pot gets filled 3/4 with water (use a 10 - 12 quart pot).

Bring it to a boil, then lower to a bare simmer and let it cook for a couple of hours. Skim off the "impurities" that rise to the top.

In our family, we remove everything from the soup and serve a clear broth with matzo dumplings, kreplach, mondlen or home-made noodles. The chicken can be used for chicken salad or tetrazzini. The veggies are pretty much "dead." I often eat the carrots. the others, not so much.

The fat adds flavor. I prefer to leave it on/in, and then chill the soup. The fat congeals on top and you can remove it. So you have all the flavor, but not the fat itself.
I too brown the chicken, beef etc. before making soup. I prefer to brown the parts in the oven, giving the soup a nice rich flavor and golden color. However, like you ChefJune, I love matzo ball soup or kreplach so to do this I use raw chicken so that I can have clear broth. OMG now I gotta have matzo ball soup!!

Tags
None