"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Port it is

Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #52
Master Chef

the idea of small bottles is a good one esp. if you don't drink wine yourself..........maybe a liquor store would sell them.......

Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #53
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Very beefy, but it tasted like it was missing something... maybe not enough thyme or parsley (all I had was dry), but I could taste a little flavor from the bay leaves, so that wasn't it. It tasted like it needed something "green". Ahhh, maybe more onion? I think that's the taste I am missing. Still, if I had to do it all over the exact same way, I would. I would just start making it a lot earlier in the day
This is why I like to add pulverized dried mushrooms to many soups, especially those with beef. They add an "earthiness" to the soup that nothing else does, and they don't "show." Try it sometime. Dried, ground up mushrooms are pretty inexpensive in the Asian markets. You don't have to buy shiitake.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #54
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Really? I thought red wine went funky after it's been opened? I was hoping to find something I could use, stick back on a shelf somewhere and forget about it until the next time I used it.
You watch, if I'm still around five years from now I'll still be using that same bottle of vermouth.
Most red wine does go "funky" pretty soon after opening, and there's no good way to tell which ones won't. Andy's suggestion of buying those 4-packs you see in many markets is a good idea, You'll only open what you're using, and the rest will keep almost indefinitely.

There are a couple of very decent brandies made in the Cognac style that are really reasonably priced and work well in many dishes. Look for De Ville Brandy from France, or El Presidente from Spain, for starters.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
This is why I like to add pulverized dried mushrooms to many soups, especially those with beef. They add an "earthiness" to the soup that nothing else does, and they don't "show." Try it sometime. Dried, ground up mushrooms are pretty inexpensive in the Asian markets. You don't have to buy shiitake.
I will. I hit the local stown store up for making the soup this time. They don't even have fresh herbs, so I didn't bother trying to find dried shrooms.
And was it expat that said garlic? The only garlic I added was some paste I wanted to use up. Forgot clean about it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #56
Everymom

Pacanis, there are lots of ways to brighten up a beef soup. A splash of wine/sherry/port will help, a tbsp of tomato paste helps too.

I'm giggling a bit about the "slaw". I've done that too, and muttered bad words for some time afterwards. Soup is one of those things best done the long way.

Reading about your bones and carcasses. Everyone has different methods and tastes and likes different flavours for their soups. For me, chicken soup doesn't taste right if it is made from a raw chicken. Something is just missing. I save up several carcasses and simmer slowly. I've found that two regularly roasted carcasses and one BBQ'ed carcass make the best combo for me. I also like a nice garlic flavour but my family really detests the bits of garlic so my compromise is to score several cloves and pierce them with a toothpick so they are easy to find and remove.

Keep messing around with the flavours you like in your soups. When you find one that really works for you stick with it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Alix.
I'd still like to incorporate my PC into a recipe or two though, just for those nights when soup for dinner is an afterthought. Of course by then, hopefully I'll have a freezer full of carcasses and/or some stock, to speed the flavor along.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #58
Executive Chef

When I make lobster or shrimp stock I use the water I boiled the lobster or shrimp in and also the cooked shells. When I'm removing the meat from the shells I gather all the liquid and bits and put that into the pot too. Even though they are cooked, they still give alot of flavor. The cooking liquid (water) is used as the base for the stock. It's so easy yet so flavorful.

Here's an example: Brainstorming a lobster recipe
Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
When I make lobster or shrimp stock I use the water I boiled the lobster or shrimp in and also the cooked shells. When I'm removing the meat from the shells I gather all the liquid and bits and put that into the pot too. Even though they are cooked, they still give alot of flavor. The cooking liquid (water) is used as the base for the stock. It's so easy yet so flavorful.

Here's an example: Brainstorming a lobster recipe

I was wondering that.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #60
Everymom

If you are making a bisque then the "slaw" method works well with the carrots/celery it give it a good colour. Just make sure to buzz it up BEFORE you put the meat back in. LOLOLOLOL

Tags
None