"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaK View Post
Thanks Vera - sounds great. Don't have clam juice though- can't say I've ever seen it in the shops around here - so I think I'll have to use chicken broth instead - don't cringe In fact as I don't have clam juice and my clams are very small I think I'll just add mixed seafood and make a seafood chowder based on the recipe you've posted. Thanks!
Small clams are great, and different seafood in the chowder is fine. If you use the water you steam the clams in, remember to strain it so you eliminate any sand. If you don't have a strainer fine enough....and don't gag....you can use a clean pair of stockings.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
Head Chef

Oh Vera, your recipe sounds wonderful. I am going to make it on the first day it is cool enough to eat soup! I love New England Clam Chowder and make it really well (if I do say so myself), using James Beard's old recipe. But DH does not care for cream-based soups...this is the answer for my clam cravings, and I think he'll really like it. Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I think it sounds great, too. And I knew you meant 1 minute to thicken, but I didn't see a cooking time after you add the clams, potatoes and the rest..... Or if you had originally figured on adding cooked clams, or whole raw ones like the OP, Tanya has. If they are cooked would they need to be in as long as the potatoes?

Thanks. I want to clear my confusion and print this out
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I think it sounds great, too. And I knew you meant 1 minute to thicken, but I didn't see a cooking time after you add the clams, potatoes and the rest..... Or if you had originally figured on adding cooked clams, or whole raw ones like the OP, Tanya has. If they are cooked would they need to be in as long as the potatoes?

Thanks. I want to clear my confusion and print this out
Diced potatoes take no more than 15 minutes to cook in simmering liquid. That's plenty of time for clams to cook. They could go in during the last 10 minutes of cooking, but unless you added seafood stock or clam juice, you won't get much of their flavour into the soup in that short an amount of time.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Diced potatoes take no more than 15 minutes to cook in simmering liquid. That's plenty of time for clams to cook. They could go in during the last 10 minutes of cooking, but unless you added seafood stock or clam juice, you won't get much of their flavour into the soup in that short an amount of time.
Thanks. I was guessing around 15 minutes, but wasn't sure.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Add 2C diced, cooked red potatoes
Hey guys - the potatoes are already cooked, right????
Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I also precooked the potatoes so cooking time for that wasn't an issue. The soup came out really nice. I've never actually had New England or Manhattan Clam Chowder - have never ever seen it on a menu here- so I'm not sure whether it tasted "authentic" - but it was very good. Another thing to put on my things to do one day : Have Manhattan clam chowder in Manhattan and New England Clam Chowder somewhere in New England
Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Hey guys - the potatoes are already cooked, right????
If you cook the potatoes in the soup, the starch will thicken the soup. If you add them cooked, you may need to thicken the soup a bit.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

Sorta looks like my potato-cooking question wasn't so farfetched or taken for granted after all, was it Vera? :)

Tags
None