"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Does anyone have a great Manhatten Clam Chowder recipe ? And I have whole clams - how long before serving should I add them?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots in a bit of oil with dried oregano, basil and thyme, just to sweat them. Add chopped tomatos and cook down a bit.

Stir in white wine, about 1/2 cup for 8 servings. Add about a gallon of water and 2 c. clam juice. If you can get your hands on seafood or clam base, 2T would enhance the flavour.

Bring this to a slow simmer for about an hour.. Add 2C diced, cooked red potatoes, the clams, 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, S&P to taste. If you feel the soup is too thin, thicken it with a bit of corn starch blended with water, then bring the whole thing back to a boil for a minute.

Add red pepper flakes to taste. Serve with thick italian bread.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Vera - sounds great. Don't have clam juice though- can't say I've ever seen it in the shops around here - so I think I'll have to use chicken broth instead - don't cringe In fact as I don't have clam juice and my clams are very small I think I'll just add mixed seafood and make a seafood chowder based on the recipe you've posted. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Master Chef

That recipe looks good, but will those diced potatoes cook in just 1 minute? I'm sort of doubtful about that.

Also, I'd steam those clams open separately first, strain the broth to use in the soup, then remove the clam meat from the shells & add them - either whole or chopped depending on their size. I wouldn't add them to the soup in their shells. Not only can that add gritty sand to your dish (regardless of how well you clean them), but frankly it's a real pain in the you-know-what dealing with seafood still in the shell in soup.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Tanya, you could steam the clams seperate using some white wine, lemon, herbs and maybe a little water. The clams will leak out their juice into the pan and the shells add for a real flavorful broth. Strain and use that in place of the clam juice. Then when the soup is done add in the cooked clams right before serving.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks guys- have put seafood back in freezer as I'm back to making "proper" clam chowder again - without chicken broth. Clams are steaming - how long should I steam them for - how much should they open ? Can you tell I've never done this before ?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

They just open about half way. 5-6 minutes or so.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks - bad news is that they are the smallest clams I've ever seen so I'm going to have to use the mixed seafood - good news is that the clam shells made an amazing stock !
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Use that broth in the soup as the clam juice and you'll be fine. I'm not sure how the mixed seafood would go though. You'll have good clam flavor even though there isn't too much clam meat in it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
That recipe looks good, but will those diced potatoes cook in just 1 minute? I'm sort of doubtful about that.

Also, I'd steam those clams open separately first, strain the broth to use in the soup, then remove the clam meat from the shells & add them - either whole or chopped depending on their size. I wouldn't add them to the soup in their shells. Not only can that add gritty sand to your dish (regardless of how well you clean them), but frankly it's a real pain in the you-know-what dealing with seafood still in the shell in soup.
My suggestion regarding boiling for a minute is after the optional additional of corn starch. I assumed , and correctly, I believe, the original poster understands that.

Tags
None