Matzo ball soup info/recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
so i'm just curious 'bout matzoh. i know 'bout unleavened breads & that, i'm just curious to see if anyone has a great recipe. i've tried deli matzo soup & it wasn't too appetizing. i've seen instant matzo ball soup: i'm figuring yins guys have better recipes that, though! so 1 ?
is a matzo ball supposed to be fluffy or isn't it?

Well the soup is no secret. It is just chicken soup. Matzo ball soup is chicken soup with matzo balls, so make your best chicken soup and then go from there.

Ask 100 people how matzo balls should be and you will get 150 different answers. Personally, I like them nice and dense. Others in my family like them light and fluffy. There is no right or wrong, except that all the people who like them light and fluffy are incorrect ;)

Last edited:
For starters, Matzoh ball soup has to have a great broth.

Then whether or not your matzoh balls should be light or sinkers, depends upon what you grew up with. In my case, if they're not feathery-light, they're a failure.

Here's my recipe, straight from Grandma Jacobs:

Grandma Jacobs Matzo Balls

Makes about 30

3 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup matzo meal
½ cup warm water
¼ cup chicken fat) vegetable oil doesn’t give the right flavor
1 teaspoon sea salt

Stir up the mixture and chill well (overnight or 3 or 4 hours, minimum).

Fill a large stockpot ¾ full of water and put in a whole onion which has been poked through with a knife. Add 1½ tablespoons salt. COVER THE POT and bring it to a rolling boil.

Form the matzo balls a little larger than golf balls (they will puff up) and slide them into the covered pot of boiling water, one at a time. VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE LID ON THE POT AT ALL TIMES, even between additions of dumplings. When all the matzo balls have been added to the pot, set the timer for 40 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE POT DURING THE COOKING PROCESS, OR THE KNAIDLACH WILL BE HARD!

At the end of 40 minutes, remove pot from heat and carefully lift the dumplings from the hot water one at a time (using a slotted spoon). Heat them in the chicken soup, and serve.

Due to me being chief cook and bottle washer and "knaidlich" maker for over 50 years, LOL, my family likes sinkers!....Guests quite often laugh when they're served them because I usually shape them into squares, so that they won't flip out of the dish when the spoon goes into them....ROFL>>>>

thanks geebs, & chefkathleen & ella for your quick answers! & thanks Grandma Jacobs! soooo.....fluffy or dense? hmmm. i'll hafta make them both ways! :)
i really like to make stock, so that should be easy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom