Meatball Minestrone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
I`ve put this here as it didn`t really belong in the other place I posted it, it`s tonights dinner and Amber asked me about it here:

YT, meatball minestrone sounds yummy. Care to share your recipe?

yes and no, I`ll share it for sure, but it will be without any real weights and measures as I don`t cook like that (sorry).

2 celery stalks
1 large carrot
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
all cubed small then added to a pan and topped up 3/4 way with cold water (about a litre).
add to that about a handful and a half of pre-soaked and boiled pinto beans and 2 tables spoons of Tomato puree.
crush in 2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes (I used one of each).
add Black pepper basil (dried) and also dried Oregano and 4 bay leaves.
put that on a low fire until it starts to simmer.

you`ll find that doing the onions and veg This way rather than pre fry them leaves a stronger onion aroma ;)

the meat balls are just a pound of the Leanest steak mince you can get, plenty black pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley.
Crushed up dried porcini mushrooms, liquid smoke (I need some more!!!!), Salt a shot of Tabasco.
mix it REALLY well! and leave it stand for an hour.

get your frying pan and put in equal amounts of Butter and EVOO, bring this to heat enough to melt the butter and then take it off the heat and let it cool. it should be about 2mm deep with this mix.

now go back to your meat, give it another good mix again and start making the meatballs, roughly 1 inch dia.
place them in your cool and coated frying pan, leave a little space between each.
now put the lid on the fry pan and put it on the lowest heat for half an hour, there should be steam escaping at the 15 min mark.
take the lid off and the meatballs are SET and quite firm, they will also easily move about in the pan without a problem, turn up the heat to drive off all moisture that is under the oil and give the meatballs a nice color.
take them out and put on kitchen paper to lose any excess fats.

now drop them in the soup and let them simmer for a good hour, then turn off the fire and leave it.

as it cools the moisture gets absorbed into the meat making it delicious!.

when you`re ready to eat, add a little pasta and some frozen peas to the soup and heat to a simmer until the pasta is Done.

serve up with bread sticks *Phew!* done :)

there`s nothing saying you couldn`t make a cheese and herb Dumpling instead though ;)

I reckon that should work quite well also, but just don`t do the frying bit :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

That sounds delicious, YT. I agree about putting the raw onions straight into the soup. If you're going to simmer it a long time, they don't need to be pre-cooked.
I was interested in your method of cooking the meatballs. I will have to try that.

What I love about minestrone (aside from the fact that I love to make soups), is that there really are no rules. It's made with what's on hand, and gives one a chance to be very creative.

Same here Constance, I was interested in YT's method of cooking the meatballs as well.

Back
Top Bottom