Minestra di Campagna: How do u Minnestrone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margi Cintrano

Washing Up
Good Morning,

Simple ingredients are the theme of Apulian and Sicilian regional cuisines. This bean and vegetable soup was created in the 15th century Galley Kitchens.

Here is our southern Italian Minestra de Campagna ( Country Minnestrone ):

6 cups water
1 large onion chopped finely
1 peeled carrot ( peeled ) and chopped finely
1 celery stalk chopped finely
2 red ripe juicy tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
5 ounces of one and 5 ounces of an another: broccoli rabe or cavolo black cabbage, Swiss Chard or cabbage cut into one inch pieces
1/2 cup Fava beans ( Habas ) that have soaked in salted water overnight
1/2 cup Northern Navy white beans ( Cannelli or Alubias blancas ) that have soaked in salted water overnight
Pecorino Sardo freshly grated
Reggiano Parmesano freshly grated
Italian Style Baguette

1. soak the 2 bean types separately overnight with 3 inches of water to cover
2. bring the fava to boil in their liquid
3. drain the fava beans when half cooked
4. using a small sharp knife, make small slit in the skin of each bean and peel off the outer shells and discard
5. cook the northern beans or the cannelli or alubias blancas until half cooked and drain
6. bring 6 cups of water to boil in large stock pot
7. partially cover, simmer over medium heat until the beans are half cooked about 30 minutes
8. then add the rabe and cavolo or other types of cabbage greens and partially cover and cook until beans tender - one hour.
9. season with salt and pepper freshly grated
10. ladle in bowls and drizzle with a tblsp of Evoo and grate the two cheeses on top for garnish
11. serve with hot Italian bread or Italian style bread, in soup and / or with EVOO and salt ...

Serve with a glass of Italian red or white and / or a chilled beer

Enjoy,
Written by: Margi. Cintrano.

We make ours pretty much as above except-
... in batches of about 10 liters during mid July through mid August when there is an abundance of locally grown fresh vegetables.
... use stock made from Bambi's bones or beef bullion
... omit the fava beans and include red kidney beans, ceci beans, zucchini, string beans, a small quantity of garlic.
... I also like to include some okra to thicken the broth
... We freeze much of it in 1 litre containers for winter and springtime consumption
I like to add some tubettini and 1 - 2 teaspoons of Pesto Genovese when reheating a frozen litre of the soup.
Being somewhat of a barbarian, I have no problem having tomato seeds or even a reasonable quantity of zucchini seeds :eek: in my soup!

@ Bill: Thanks for the Tiny Pasta

We make ours pretty much as above except-
... in batches of about 10 liters during mid July through mid August when there is an abundance of locally grown fresh vegetables.
... use stock made from Bambi's bones or beef bullion
... omit the fava beans and include red kidney beans, ceci beans, zucchini, string beans, a small quantity of garlic.
... I also like to include some okra to thicken the broth
... We freeze much of it in 1 litre containers for winter and springtime consumption
I like to add some tubettini and 1 - 2 teaspoons of Pesto Genovese when reheating a frozen litre of the soup.
Being somewhat of a barbarian, I have no problem having tomato seeds or even a reasonable quantity of zucchini seeds :eek: in my soup!

Ciao Bill,

Yes, I had forgotten actually to mention -- I normally do put in some Cinesini, Occhidi Pernice or Ditali Rigati tiny macaroni ( the ones they have here in Gargano ) ... The zucchini is a fab idea as well ... Since I had seen ur post before going to Farmer´s Market, I had been able to purchase some zucchini and a bag of tiny Macaroni direct from a lady who made some ... The soup was lovely and my twin grandsons, finished off two bowls ...

Kindest regards, and Have a Lovely Holiday.
Margi.

We would call that Minestrone monastico or in the style of the monks, because you start with water!

Mine is similar but, I usually start with a stock made of beef or chicken and use cannellini or kidney beans.

Amounts depend on how much of each you like and the amount of soup you want. This is just technique.

Day One: Roast Beef neck bones with onion quarters, garlic, carrots and celery x 45 minutes. Put all into stock pot and cover with water add peppercorns, bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover x 6 hours. Cool and refrigerate over night.

Meanwhile, Soak cannellini beans in unsalted water.

Day Two: Drain beans, return to pot, cover with clear water and cook until al dente.

Remove fat from beef stock, remove solids. Save meat on bones for other dish. Discard solids, you want a clear beef broth.

Meanwhile, dice your veggies: onions, carrots, celery, green peppers, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, green beans. Roast garlic and mash. Set veggies aside.

Bring beef stock up to boil, add cooked cannellini beans, bay leaf, marjoram and rosemary. Cover and simmer until beans are soft. Return to fridge over night.

Day Three: Reheat stock with beans to boil, add in your veggies, cover and simmer x 1 hour. Add chopped fresh Spinach and Dilatini or orzo, cook until pasta is al dente. Sea salt to taste. Serve with fresh shredded Parmesan and crusty rolls.

Last edited:
Princess Fiona,

Good morning and Happy Easter. Just wanted to thank you so much for the recipe that you posted. It is on the to do list when we return to Madrid.

Have a lovely bicycling outing ... sounds great ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

Princess Fiona,

Good morning and Happy Easter. Just wanted to thank you so much for the recipe that you posted. It is on the to do list when we return to Madrid.

Have a lovely bicycling outing ... sounds great ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

I was taught this recipe by an Italian GrandMother of the child I was babysitting during the summer. I was 15.

I forgot to add Fresh Spinach at the end.

Princess Fiona,

Thanks so much. Appreciate the recipe very much and have enjoyed the anecdote too ! Have it written down ... so shall add the spinach ... I love spinach ...

Margi.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom