"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Miso Soup

Ingredients:
-3 cups water
-3 ounces of firm tofu cut into inch cubes
-1/2 tablespoons of light miso paste
-3 sheets nori (dried seaweed) broken into pieces
-Chopped green onion
Directions:
-In a medium saucepan bring water to boil and remove about cup of the boiling water to the side.
-Add tofu to the boiling water in pan and reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 2 mins
-Add nori and allow to simmer for 2 mins or until nori is tender. Once that is complete remove soup from heat
-Blend miso paste in the reserved hot water and then stir mixture into the pot of soup
-Garnish with green onions and serve immediately

Enjoy and a perfect appetizer or complement to any oriental dinner.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

I love Miso Soup, but much prefer using instant Dashi to just plain water. Definitely gives more depth to the soup than just the nori & water.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks interesting. Do you ever add dried bonito flakes to the dashi?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Master Chef

Instant Dashi already has dried Bonito flakes in it. That's what makes it Dashi. :)
Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Instant Dashi already has dried Bonito flakes in it. That's what makes it Dashi. :)

I didn't see your post until after I posted.

My uinderstanding is that dashi is a broth made from dried kelp that may or may not contain bonito flakes. It can also be made with sardines.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Master Chef

Sorry - didn't in any way mean that to sound condescending or snarky.

All the instant Dashi brands I've used have all listed dried Bonito & have all been very good. They range from Asian brands I've bought at Asian markets to good old Trader Joe's house brand. All have been excellent on their own or as ingredients in other dishes like Miso Soup.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Sorry - didn't in any way mean that to sound condescending or snarky.

All the instant Dashi brands I've used have all listed dried Bonito & have all been very good. They range from Asian brands I've bought at Asian markets to good old Trader Joe's house brand. All have been excellent on their own or as ingredients in other dishes like Miso Soup.

I've used the instant dashi with success as well. Usually I just make a dashi with separate bonito flakes and konbi. Either way, it tastes good. I think it's time for another barch of miso soup. It's getting chilly around here.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Dashi does sound better than plain water. Ill forward that bit of advice to my friend who wrote the article. Thank you everyone

Tags
hot, miso, recipe, soup

Miso Soup Ingredients: -3 cups water -3 ounces of firm tofu cut into inch cubes -1/2 tablespoons of light miso paste -3 sheets nori (dried seaweed) broken into pieces -Chopped green onion Directions: -In a medium saucepan bring water to boil and remove about cup of the boiling water to the side. -Add tofu to the boiling water in pan and reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 2 mins -Add nori and allow to simmer for 2 mins or until nori is tender. Once that is complete remove soup from heat -Blend miso paste in the reserved hot water and then stir mixture into the pot of soup -Garnish with green onions and serve immediately Enjoy and a perfect appetizer or complement to any oriental dinner. 3 stars 1 reviews