Miso soup need ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janetGood

Cook
My kids love miso soup but I need a way to make it at home and have no Idea how, I would like to make about a quart at a time. We have soybean paste in the cooler section at the store and think it may be for miso soup, but there is not a recipe on the container. And also what type of tofu would you put in it? :angel: Any ideas anyone? Thanks Janet

The seaweed is sold in Asian markets or well stocked supermarkets. The Hon Dashi is a dried fish boullion.

Miso Soup

Dashi:
6 C Water
1/2 Pkg Seaweed
1 Tb Hon Dashi

Soup:
5 C Dashi
2 Tb Brown Miso Paste
2 Tb White Miso Paste
6 Oz Firm Tofu, ½ inch cubes
2 Scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tb Aji Mirin (sweet rice wine), optional

For the Dashi:
In a saucepan, combine the water and seaweed. Bring it to a simmer, uncovered, over medium heat. Remove the seaweed and discard.

Bring the liquid to a boil, add the hon dashi and immediately remove the pan from the heat. Allow the dashi to sit undisturbed for 2 minutes.

For the Soup:
In a saucepan heat the dashi and whisk in the miso pastes. Bring to a simmer and add the tofu, scallions, and mirin, if used. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Use immediately or store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

I have made it Andy's way, which is great but in a pinch I have used the pre-packaged miso soup from the asian market. Not as good as Andy's method, but not bad. Kids may not detect much of a difference.

jennyema said:
I have made it Andy's way, which is great but in a pinch I have used the pre-packaged miso soup from the asian market. Not as good as Andy's method, but not bad. Kids may not detect much of a difference.

I have a few of those packets in the cupboard as well. They're pretty good!

MISO NOODLE SOUP

makes 8 cups

1tsp. sesame oil
1tsp. minced ginger
2 cloves garlic minced
1cup sliced onion
1 cup carrot sliced
2cups chopped broccoli
1tsp. chile paste
2 cups cooked noodle
¼ cup white miso
3 14 ½ oz. cans vegetable broth

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat; saute ginger and garlic 1 minute; add broth, broccoli,carrot, onion, and chile paste; bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes; stir in noodles and miso; cook 1 minute or til miso is blended.

Swanson's makes a good veg broth; so does - I think it's Kitchen Basics - comes in a quart box. Yes, they're in the soup section, where you'd look for chicken broth.

I've been looking for a miso soup receipe for awhile. This sounds perfect. Miso soup is supposed to be very good for you immune system.

Marmalady's recipe looks delicious, but isn't traditional Miso Soup, which is based on the less is more principle. There is a Japanese name for her soup, but I don't have the book in front of me to provide it at the moment. True Miso Soup doesn't have all those vegetables, nor does it have any noodles. Not knocking her recipe at all - in fact, I've copied it to try it - but it's not Miso Soup.

I make Miso Soup all the time. In fact, instant Dashi-no-moto granules are a necessary staple in my pantry. I always have them on hand.

My favorite recipe, which serves 2-4 depending on what you're serving with it, is just bringing about 3 cups of water to a boil & adding a tablespoon or two of the granules. Stir to dissolve & then add 3 tablespoons (or to taste) of miso paste (any type - although I'm fond of the yellow types myself). After all is combined, taste the broth to see if you need to add more of either ingredient.. Then add one block of firm tofu, cut into small cubes & one or two scallions, finely chopped & serve.

Some recipes also garnish the soup with a sprig or 2 of edible green seaweeds (there are a number of varieties), so if you have these available to you, by all means go to it.

I can send you some. I have a ton of it in the pantry. Plus I go to Super 88 or Kam Man very regularly. You can buy miso at Whole Foods.

GB - I've yet to find them in my local markets here in Culpeper, but our local markets are constantly expanding their Asian aisles, & more & more I'm able to find key ingredients. I have a feeling Hon-Dashi won't be far behind.

Any Asian market would definitely have it, & I'm also sure it's available on-line. I've tried a couple of brands, but my hands down favorite is "HON-DASHI - Bonito Fish Soup Stock", distributed by Ajinomoto U.S.A., Inc., of Portland, Oregon 97203, Product of Japan. The quote on the box is that it's "Japan's No. 1 brand seafood soup stock made from dried bonito's essence and other flavorings". Box is white, red, & navy blue. It truly is delicious & makes a fabulous base for any Japanese soup. It's actually been recommended in Japanese cookbooks.

The box contains several envelopes - enough to make LOTS of soup - so one just takes what one needs, then places the opened envelope in a plastic bag & pops it into the fridge, where it lasts pretty much indefinitely.

Definitely worth seeking out. One box will last you a long time

I have exactly what Breezy is describing. I used to buy it in glass jars but the packets are much more practical.

Let me know if you want some.

I'd be happy to mail some to anyone, btw.

Back
Top Bottom