Mom's German Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
...not my mom's but somebody's! This is one of my favorite soups--a real comfort food!

Mom’s German Potato Soup

3 slices bacon
3 c diced peeled potatoes
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine (leaves OK)
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Rivels (recipe follows)
2 c milk
3 Tbsp butter

Chop bacon fine and fry in a skillet until crisp and brown. Put the cooked bacon in a large saucepan and add potatoes, onion, celery, salt, and pepper. Cover with water and cook until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Dribble the rivels into gently boiling soup, stirring constantly so they stay separate. Add milk and butter and cook 10-15 minutes more, or until the rivels are done.

Rivels are little homemade egg noodles. They are good in beef and chicken stew, as well as in vegetable soups: Pour 1 c flour on a flat surface, such as a cutting board. Make a well in the center, and then pour in a slightly beaten egg to which 1 tsp salt has been added. Using your hands and a knife, work these 3 ingredients together into a noodle-type pastry. Knead once or twice, and then chop it into small pea size pieces.

It's a meal in itself--very filling! I usually just have a salad with it. A quiet NYE is the best sometimes, I think. My hubby and I don't have plans either. We're still thinking about going out to eat. We'll probably take my dad along as Mom's visiting her parents and helping them get over some humps (they both stayed young for so long now that they're failing they're really having a time of it!).

Sorry for the tangent! Hope you enjoy the soup! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom