"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 12-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Mushroom Cheeseburger Soup

I have been messing with various ways of making Cheeseburger Soup. I feel like this one turned out the best. But I do have a weakness for Cheeseburgers with mushrooms on them. This a good appetizing soup when you have to feed an army, and it is something different. (Also, not recommended by the Surgeon General to help lower cholesterol)

Mushroom Cheeseburger Soup:

2 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Chuck

1 lb Fresh Sliced Button Mushrooms

1/3 c chopped celery

1/3 c chopped carrots

1/3 c chopped onion

1 lb Velveeta Cheese, cubed

1 cup beef broth

3 T Worcestshire Sauce

2 c Flour

3 c Milk

3c Water

Lawrey's Seasoning Salt, to taste

Cracked Black Pepper, to taste

Fresh Crushed Garlic, to taste

In a large (I used 2 gallon) stock pot, start to brown ground chuck over medium heat. When oil starts to appear, add all vegetables, and add seasonings, simmer all together, until meat is done, and vegetables are almost tender. Whisk in flour, keep stirring until flour and grease are nice and combined evenly, this makes a roux, granted an unconventional one. Add beef broth, worcestshire, and milk, and stir until all is mixed thoroughly.

This mixture is still going to be VERY THICK, so add water to thin out to your liking. Simmer over medium heat, continuously for about 5 minutes until it starts to actually look like a thick soup. Add Velveeta cubes and keep simmering and stirring,until cheese is fully melted.

If still too thick, add more beef broth to thin out. Also taste, and adjust seasonings if need. For best results, if you are happy with what you have in the pot, turn your burner down to warm, and let sit for about 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.

I like to serve this soup with fresh sliced bakery bread. (Sourdough, is my choice) Also you can garnish the soup like a cheeseburger, chopped lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, etc. I personally like green olives and sweet bread and butter pickles mixed in my bowl.

I hope you enjoy!!!!!!

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Master Chef
Erik, you weren't kidding!! It does look like it could feed an army. I wonder if I could cut the recipe in half?

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Oh my gosh! This looks great!! I am going to make this soon.

:) Barbara
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:36 AM   #4
Head Chef

Can this soup be frozen? It looks like a lot of soup!
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

Very cool recipe, I am going to make this but sub minced (ground) turkey for the beef and switch the broth to chicken or veggie.

Thanks posting this, I love hearty soups!

Happy cooking to all!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Sorry...I haven't seen this being posted until now.
Sierra-definitely can be made into smaller batches...just use your magic and best judgement.

Lyndalou-can be frozen...maybe need to rethicken when thawed...no big deal.

IC-your methods should work....feel free to post your results.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Wow! Lots of soup! This would be great out camping, a nice hearty soup for settling in at night.

~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
LeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote