Mushroom soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
A friend who is a mushroom hunter brought me about 4 lbs of fresh field mushrooms today. I'm going to make some mushroom soup with half the mushrooms.

2 oz butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1 teaspoon of sea salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 med potatoes, peeled and roughly chooped
1.5 lbs of either wild field mushrooms or commercially grown chestnuts or portobello, sliced
A few sliced, fried mushrooms extra to garnish
1 pt (Imperial, not American) chicken stock (or, at a pinch, water)
1 pt 5 oz milk
10 fl oz double cream
freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butetr and add onion. Add salt and cook slowly until onions become transparent but not heavily coloured. Add celery and potatoes and continue to cook over low heat for approx 5 mins. Add mushrooms and continue to toss in the butter for a couple more minutes. Add stock/water and bring to boil. Simmer for about 15 mins or until potatoes are soft. Remove from heat and leave to cool.

Put soup in a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pan and heat gently, gradually, whisk in the milk and cream. Do not allow to boil. Serve with home made oatcakes or bannock, or croutons.

Your mushroom soup sounds yummy!! When I was young my grandfather went mushroom hunting every fall and brought home sacks of mushrooms. My grandmother dried lots of them to use later in sauces, stews, etc. My favorite way to eat the fresh mushrooms was when my grandmother would saute thick slices of them in olive oil and a little butter with garlic and a sprinkle of sage. We would eat bowls full with crusty Italian bread!! Happy memories!!!

auntieshelly (and Ishbel) - that reminds me of the Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding I make (I guess because of the sage) - YUM~!! - I can't wait for Thanksgiving!!!

How do you make that kitchen elf, sounds really good. I love them cooked/stewed with crispy bread too. And soup. A bread pudding thing would go well with practically everything wouldn't it, or as a meatless meal with salad.

Ellen, Here is the recipe I use. YES, it would make an excellent meatless meal with a salad!! The recipe calls for "crustless" bread - I didn't bother and besides the crust is the best part in this recipe!!!! It has a nice firm texture to it. I'm also pretty sure I used sourdough bread too.

Oh, girlfriends! You are making my mouth water.

Aunt Shelly, I cook them that way all the time, but never thought of seasoning them with sage! Can't wait to try it!

Kitchenelf, PULEEZE share your mushroom bread pudding recipe! It sounds so good. :-p

Ishbel - I don't mean to hijack your post - at least it's still about mushrooms, which is more than other hijackers do!!!!!

Ellen - For future reference, I doubled this recipe with no problem. I cook mine in a 13 x 9 stoneware pan - or a 9 x 9 stoneware pan, it turns out great!

That would mean 10 eggs elf? Right? Fantastic buffet dish. Can't wait, would be good in individual ramikins too. As a starter I am picking. Wisp of salad on the plate to help with richness, maybe involving a radish or daicon, or a 'lish little lettuce leaf with yummies hidden in it. I still love iceburg, they have such dear little cups to roll so easily and eat with your fingers.

It is my fault this was sort of low jacked, sorry about that. (Lynnan has a wondefull recipe for garlic b&b puddings instead of yorkshire pudding).

Ellen, and I was taking the blame for the hi/low jacking - :LOL:

YES, 10 eggs!!! lol Individual ramekins would be perfect also! They would create your own crispy outside part and prevent people from steeling ALL of it! lol I think this would be great with a salad of bitter greens, radishes, and other "biting" things - that should counteract the richness.

Last edited:
Ishbel, I must say that I am envious. I absolutely adore wild field mushrooms. I have had two this year. Yes, you heard me right, two whole field mushrooms, sporting that perfect white parasol with the pink gills underneath. I didn't have time to search for them and found the two growing in my yard. I quickly picked, cleaned, and fried them up. They are so deliscious.

I am happy for your good fortune. Enjoy you mushroom soup. It looks like a wonderful recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My friend is a fungii hunter and at the beginning of the Autumn seems to have more than his poor wife can cope with... Goody... all the more for me!

Ishbel, I used to be a mushroom hater. But, as I grew up I began to eat them in things. A few years ago we had a chef come and make meals for my parents freezer and she would clean out their fridge/freezer of all the oddments and come up with the most amazing meals. She made a mushroom soup once with oyster mushrooms, shiitake and portobellos...it was to die for! I LOVED it. The only mushroom soup I had eaten to that point was the Campbells variety which frankly made me want to hurl. I am going to save this recipe and give it a try when I have been to the market and have some fresh mushrooms to try it with. THANKS!

Your soup sounds heavenly, makes me want to make some tonight. Sadly, I'll have to buy my mushrooms at the grocery.

Back
Top Bottom