Newly-made carrot soup - leave it out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok, I always get mixed up about stuff like this. I just made a carrot soup, had to cook it on the stove first and than blend it all. I plan on serving it or SOME of it tonight between 5 and 6pm hopefully. Can I just leave it in the pan until than? Or do I have to cool it down and than refrigerate. We won't be eating all of it tonight, as I made a decent amount (used 1 lb of carrots).

What else is in the soup? If there is anything that would normally need to be refrigerated then you will need to stick that soup in the fridge and not leave it out until dinnertime.

If it needs to go in the fridge put the soup in a different container, fill a ziplock bag with ice, stick it in the soup to let cool down, then put in fridge.

And don't be confused - if there's ever any doubt just refrigerate something.

vegetable stock, onions, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, a little orange juice, some grated orange peel and carrots. I think that might be it. oh and celery

I just don't think leaving it out is a good idea. Cooling off with a baggie of ice and refrigerating just seems a bit safer.

vegetable stock, onions, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, a little orange juice, some grated orange peel and carrots. I think that might be it. oh and celery

I don't see where it would need to be refridgrated. When I was growing up, my mother would simmer a pot of chili for a few hours before she went to work, leave it on the stove all day, reheat later. We NEVER got sick.

I don't see where it would need to be refridgrated. When I was growing up, my mother would simmer a pot of chili for a few hours before she went to work, leave it on the stove all day, reheat later. We NEVER got sick.
I am sorry, but that is a recipe for disaster. That is like saying it is OK to not wear a seat belt because you have never worn one in 50 years and are fine today. All it takes is one accident and you could wind up dead.

Also, how to do you know never got sick from that practice? Food poisoning can show its head in many different ways. It is not always a horrible illness. It could be something as minor as a headache or diarrhea. It can also take 48 hours or longer before you get sick. Only a doctor doing a blood test can say for sure if you got sick from food you prepared or not.

You lucked out on that one. :LOL: For years my mother in law would stuff a 22 lb. Thanksgiving turkey with MEAT stuffing the day before TG, then let it sit in the roaster on the back sun porch til the next moring. In November the weather was often in the high 40's lower 50's and the sunporch was just that - a sunporch. No one ever got sick and to this day I can't imagine why. My husband didn't have a clue and I was in my 20's and didn't know any better. We do now.

As for the carrot soup, there doesn't seem to be anything in the soup that would spoil in such a short time, but I wouldn't take the chance. GB is right. It only takes once. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom