"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #11
Master Chef

I love home-made egg noodles with my sooup. I always add the noodles after the rest of the soup is cooked and seasoned the way I want it. It comes out great.

My biggest mistake with homemade woup came when I was asked to bring a big pot of my chicken noole soup for a fundraiser to help a family. I made the soup to the best of my ability. I also made the home-made egg noodles and added them to the soup. I cooked them until they were soft and then put the whole thing in the refrigerator as I had to take the soup to the location during my lunch hour. Like yours, my noodles had become mush. The flavor was good, but the noodles were indistinguishable from the rest of the soup. When I stirred the soup, the noodles became a thickening agent. I learned that lesson the hard way. I now add noodles just before serving, as I do with the meat.

I cook the meat (cubed turkey, beef, chicken, etc.) seperately from the soup, as boiling meat will toughen and dry it out. I flavor the broth with bones and skin (for poultry), or bones and fat (for beef, and pork). Then I get it cold and lift the hardened fat from the gelled stock. I strain it and heat it to a low boil. Add the veggies and flavorings and cook until done. Then add the noodles, dumplings, or whatever pasta needs to be incorporated. And finally, when serving, add the cently cooked meat cubes. That way, everything is at the proper texture, degree of doneness, and at its best flavor.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Godweed, I understand your story exactly and I feel your pain.

I just made another batch of chix soup and cooked the noodles separately. I now keep softened noodles (cooked in chix broth) in the fridge and put them in the soup just before serving. It tastes good and it's not much more involved.

I would love tomake my own noodles but I haven't had the nerve to do it yet.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

:D Cook your soup as usual then the last 10 to 12 minutes of cooking add the dry uncooked NoYolks brand of egg noodles I use the wide ones called dumplings cook the 10 to 12 minutes that they recommend or till tender they hold up wonderfully and reheat without falling apart.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm weighing in with those who say they cook noodles separately from their soup when making anything that will be leftover. Nothing helps, noodles don't hold up. Rice also can have problems holding up to the long term, tending to "blow out" at the ends of the grains. I make my stock and anything else I want in the soup, then cook pasta or rice separately, drain, and toss in with each meal. Extra trouble, but do not like them mushy. Strangely enough, I do like campbells -- the old chicken noodle -- but it is simply a childhood taste. We all have them ... stuff we like because of happy memories having nothing to do whatsoever with good taste in food. It's something I heat up when I have a cold, or need comfort without effort. My very favorite, 'though, is Liptons, and I add extra noodles to it (as Mom did). But, as above, I don't like it leftover.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #15
Master Chef

i would just add the hot noodles to the hot soup and serve immediately or leave them seperate. they DO get mushy in the fridge- someone had mentioned that- but you could make only what you think you'll need and do the same with a new batch during re-heating.
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Just finished making homemade chicken noodle soup in the crock pot. Like always, I added the stock, onions, celery, bay leaf, seasoning, carrots, and let go for an hour. Needless to say this is not my first time making soup, but this is the first time I have had egg noodles completely disintegrate in 30 minutes. There is not a noodle to be found I agree adding the noodles to the bowl, but this was crazy. I have used homemade noodle, and just about every brand of off the shelf extra wide egg noodles, but this time I used the HyVee x wide egg noodles. Never again.
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef View Post
I understand that noodles still absorb liquid after they are cooked. I guess then I don't understand why Campbells noodles stay firm in the can. I don't just store broth and noodles. I store the completed soup in gladware or something like that.
If you read the list of ingredients, you will see a list of chemical ingredients that keep the noodles from getting mushy. The noodles you buy separately are made the same way as you would make them at home. Then they are allowed to dried.

You received some very good advice here. Keep the noodles separate from the soup.

Tags
None