"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Noodles falling apart in soup

Lately, every time I cook chicken noodle soup the noodles fall apart in the broth after the soup has turned into leftovers. It will sit in a sealed container for a day or two then turn to mush. What am I doing wrong? I am using dry egg noodles and I am pre-cooking them in boiling water before I introduce them to the soup.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Have you tried it without pre-cooking the noodles? This extra cooking time could be the cause of the mushyness.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I thought about that but when I cook my soup I only bring it to a boil when I am first making the broth. After that I reduce the temp to a steep. I figured noodles wouldn't cook properly if the temp wasn't at a boil.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
try keeping the noodles seperate from the soup?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Re: noodles falling apart in soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
Lately, every time I cook chicken noodle soup the noodles fall apart in the broth after the soup has turned into leftovers. It will sit in a sealed container for a day or two then turn to mush. What am I doing wrong?
Noodles continue to absorb liquid from the stock during storage so they inevitably turn mushy as well as sucking up the stock. (Rice does the same thing too tho not as much as pasta does.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I am using dry egg noodles and I am pre-cooking them in boiling water before I introduce them to the soup.
Good - you're half-way there. Even if you want noodles in your soup, cook them seperately. Only add cooked pasta directly to the soup just prior to serving if you know you'll have no leftovers.

BTW, you really don't ever have to add cooked noodles to the soup. When serving, put cooked noodles in the bottom of each bowl and then pour the hot soup over them. By the time they get to the table the noodles will be hot too.

Store any leftover cooked pasta seperately from your soup/stock and add exactly the quantity you need after you've reheated your stock.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I understand that noodles still absorb liquid after they are cooked. I guess then I don't understand why Campbells noodles stay firm in the can. I don't just store broth and noodles. I store the completed soup in gladware or something like that.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Sorry - don't eat canned soup. All I'm saying is don't add pasta to homemade soup that's going to sit a few days in the 'frig. Hope this helps :D
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #8
Senior Cook

When I make chicken or turkey noodle soup, the noodles are the very last thing I add, sparingly, and dry from the package. The thin, curly
ones. I stir them in then. I turn off the heat and put on the lid. They finish cooking on their own.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
Senior Cook

So, basically, since I always make a HUGE batch of soup at a time I shouldn't add the noodles until I am ready to actually eat the soup. There's no way to add the noodles and store the whole thing in canning jars or tupperware because the noodles will ultimately congeal. I wish there was a better way :?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

1st off, Cambells probably has some items in their noodles that aren't food! The probably make them very hard to survive canning, but they likely subject them to rapid cooling to stop cooking. I'm sure if you reheat it several times the canned ones will get mushy, too.

I always make the noodles separate, then add them only to the portion I'm going to serve. You can easily zap them for 20 seconds in the microwave if you need to whip up more soup. This way you only have what you need and the noodles don't break up. Works good with rice, too.

Tags
None