Odette's Cream of Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
1.5 pounds of chopped mushrooms (Mix of portabello, shitake and oyster mushrooms)
2 leeks finely chopped
2 cloves of crushed garlic
splash of olive oil
3 sprigs of fresh thyme stalks removed or 1 tsp of dried
1 bayleaf
Aromat seasoning or salt and cracked black pepper to taste
3 tbs of flour
3 tbs of butter
2.5 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sour cream or creme fraiche
2 cups of good chicken broth

Heat a large skillet or pan, add olive oil. Add chopped leeks and garlic and fry till translucent. Add chopped mushrooms, thyme, bayleaf and aromat or salt and pepper. Fry till mushrooms are cooked.
In your soup pot add the butter and melt over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Slowly add the milk while whisking then add the chicken broth. Simmer till it thickens. Add the mushroom and leek mix to this. Then simmer gently for 10 mins. Remove bay leaf. Mix a little of the soup with the sour cream then add back to the pot. Do this to prevent the cream from splitting. Blend lightly with stick blender till slightly chunky or smooth if preferred.
Serve with good crusty sour dough bread and extra sour cream swirled on top.

Last edited:
I like the sounds of this.
No problem getting all of the ingredients either.
I'll let you know when I make this.

I've never made cream of mushroom soup before. Your recipe has been added to my recipe file - thanks! :)

I have been making cream of mushroom soup (it is my all time favourite) for years but this is a new one for me. Love it and will try it soon! Thanks, Snip!

1.5 pounds of chopped mushrooms (Mix of portabello, shitake and oyster mushrooms)
2 leeks finely chopped
2 cloves of crushed garlic
splash of olive oil
3 sprigs of fresh thyme stalks removed or 1 tsp of dried
1 bayleaf
Aromat seasoning or salt and cracked black pepper to taste
3 tbs of flour
3 tbs of butter
2.5 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sour cream or creme fraiche
2 cups of good chicken broth

Heat a large skillet or pan, add olive oil. Add chopped leeks and garlic and fry till translucent. Add chopped mushrooms, thyme, bayleaf and aromat or salt and pepper. Fry till mushrooms are cooked.
In your soup pot add the butter and melt over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 mins. Slowly add the milk while whisking then add the chicken broth. Simmer till it thickens. Add the mushroom and leek mix to this. Then simmer gently for 10 mins. Remove bay leaf. Mix a little of the soup with the sour cream then add back to the pot. Do this to prevent the cream from splitting. Blend lightly with stick blender till slightly chunky or smooth if preferred.
Serve with good crusty sour dough bread and extra sour cream swirled on top.

Whole milk, right? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, Snip. Looks like a good recipe and I love home made Cream of Mushroom Soup!! I like just a little dry Sherry in mine. ;)

Thanks, Snip. Looks like a good recipe and I love home made Cream of Mushroom Soup!! I like just a little dry Sherry in mine. ;)

Depends if you're on a diet or not :p Any milk you like :)
Trust you to find something that wasn't explained, next time I'll post pictures of all ingredients mentioned :LOL:

Kayelle said:

I like sherry in mine too. Nice, Snip! C&P.

:LOL: You can pig out all you want on this, Kayelle says it's low fat cause I didn't type whole milk :P
Thanks Timothy :)

I use mushroom soup as a base for several sauces. The one in the little red and white can is what I mostly use. (I know:-p...)

This will give me a much better way to start them. I can mix some seasonings around for whatever meal it's to be a sauce for.

*Thanks*!

Nor will I.
Like I said last night, all those views and no one caught GW's error until I stumbled upon the recipe... I should have chosen Annie's :LOL:
I think I can handle this one though :chef:

You can manage this one Pac, no condensed milk anywhere! No punnets either :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom