Onion Soup (french recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annamaria

Cook
hello!
I found this recipe into a newspapare. It's french, they say.

8 red onions
50 gr butter
4 spoons of oil
1 carrot
1 potato
celery
Thyme
parsley
two cloves of garlic
2 glasses of white wine
salt pepper
slices of breads
grated Hemmental (i used also parmggiano)

Cut 7 onions and put them into a pan with the butter and the oil. Use low fire for 30 min. Make a consommè with 1 litre of water, the potato, the celery, the onion. (I added a cube instead of the salt). make boiling for 30 min. Add the wine to the onions an let the alccol go away. Add the thime, parsley and the garlis for ten minutes. Slowly add the consommè to the onions. Cook it for 1 h and 1/2. leave away the garlic, thyme, parsley. Put the soup into 4 little bowls. Salt and pepper. Put the grated cheese in each bowl an put them into the stove to melt the cheese and to get it crusted.

Cooment: maybe you knew it but I din't. Once I tried something like in Austria.

Buon Appetito!

Sounds wonderful to me.
We're going through a heat wave here in
Seattle!! It's been in the 50's for the last few days...when
it cools down again I'll give this a try.

Thanks! :D

onion soup

hello Annamaria.I don't use the celery,potatoes,carrot,just to keep the soup intensely oniony.After you pour the soup into the individual bowls you may want to float a slice of bread on top,sprinkle it (heavily)with the cheese & put bowls under the broiler till the cheese turn golden brown.Great winter dish.

Re: onion soup

ifitfeelgoodcookit said:
hello Annamaria.I don't use the celery,potatoes,carrot,just to keep the soup intensely oniony.After you pour the soup into the individual bowls you may want to float a slice of bread on top,sprinkle it (heavily)with the cheese & put bowls under the broiler till the cheese turn golden brown.Great winter dish.

Thank you both! I forgot something about the bread. My recipe tells to put he bread at the bottom of the bowl. I roasted the slice and then I put on the soup of onions. It's a greta idea to put the bread on the top!
I'll try your recipe without the consommè.

Bye! :)

Here's my recipe for French onion soup - it doesn't use any other vegetable, and definitely NOT red onions!

1 lb onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 oz butter
half a teaspoon of sugar
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1.5 pints good beef stock
Half bottle of a dry white wine
salt and ground black pepper (to taste)

Place a large saucepan on medium heat, and melt the oil and butter together. Add the garlic, onions and the sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions have started to turn a dark brown (but do not allow them to 'catch' and burn - they should be caramelised) Turn the heat down to low, and leave cooking for 30mins. Add the liquids and season, stirring the pan well. Leave to cook gently for at least an hour.

Cut thick slices off a baguette - Toast on one side, then drizzle a little olive oil on the untoasted side and salt and pepper - then add some grated cheese (a mature cheddar works well) on the oiled side float the baguette slice on top of the soup in a bowl and stick under the grill until the cheese bubbles and takes on a little colour.

Back
Top Bottom