Onion Soup in Onion Bowls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Onion Soup in Onion Bowls
Serving Size:4

6 cups yellow onions, sliced
2 T vegetable oil
2 cans beef broth (14-1/2 oz. each)
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 t dried thyme
1/8 t black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
2 T parsley, minced
Parmesan Toast

Sauté onions in vegetable oil over medium heat in large saucepan about 30 minutes or until onions are golden brown in color. Add broth, sherry, thyme, and peppers. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Serve in 12-ounce soup bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and top with Parmesan Toast.

Parmesan Toast: 4 servings.
Butter one side of each of 4 slices of baguette; sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Broil or toast until cheese browns.

Serve in onion bowls if desired. Peel outer layers of 4 large onions, but leave one or two layers of skin intact. Slice top 1/4 onion and discard. Slice thin layer of bottom so onions will be even and level on the bottom. Cut an "X" in center of onion and carefully remove inner portion, leaving at least 2 layers on the outer edge. Fill with onion soup.

I've never heard of using "onion" soup bowls...what a neat idea! The way I like onion soup though...I'd need an onion measuring about 12 inches around....lol. Great idea!

Kaylinda, now I know what those HUGE onions are for :LOL: I'm still working on this idea. Thinking about some melted Gruyere (sp) and/or parmesan-herbed croutons. Always thinking about how to make a recipe even better. Thank you.

Cute idea!

I made a creamy red pepper soup for a party and served it as an appi in hollowed out (largest I could find that day at the green grocery store) bell peppers.

I like serving things in fruits and veggies - thanks for sharing this cool idea :)

OK, LOVE this idea, but I just know I would make a hash of it and have soup running everywhere!

Do you think when you broil it to melt the cheese it would mess up the onion bowls?

Hi Alix. I wouldn't broil the onion bowls, just the croutons & let them cool a bit. Let the soup cool a little before pouring very hot liquid into the onion bowls. Don't see any harm in leaving more than one or two layers of onion skins for the bowls. I love onions, raw & cooked.

Back
Top Bottom