Opinion on this soup recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
What do you think? Would you give this a try? Before I go getting all the ingredients, I would like to know how you feel? I never had star anise and I remember my mother liking it so much that is only knowledge. Since you all impress me with your ideas I am reluctant to try on my own. Thanks for your input It sounds good and healthy to me. Sweet potatoes supposed to have lot of nutritional value.

FOR THE SOUP

2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)

3/4 cup chopped onion (about 1 onion)

2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (about 2-inch piece for soup and sour cream)

4 star anise pods (about 2 teaspoons of star anise pieces)

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (1 [32-ounce] box)

1 cup water

1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half

FOR THE GINGER CREAM

6 tablespoons sour cream or creme friache

1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

FOR THE SOUP
1. Heat butter in a large stockpot over medium heat until melted. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the ginger and star anise. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
3. Add the chicken broth and mix well, scraping up any browned bits that may have adhered to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until sweet potatoes are completely tender, about 12 minutes. While the soup is simmering, make the ginger cream (see recipe below). Remove from heat.
4. Allow soup to cool slightly. Remove the star anise pods and discard. Carefully puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Return to stockpot over medium-low heat and stir in the heavy cream or half-and-half. Serve soup in warmed bowls, and top with a tablespoon of Ginger Cream.

FOR THE GINGER CREAM
1. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and grated ginger. Mix well. Chill until ready to use.

I think this sounds delicious! The combination of the star anise, ginger, and cream sound so interesting. Sweet and fruity with a little kick. This one sounds like a winner for sure.

I think that it sounds good too, but that seems like a lot of star anise.

Star anise is an asian spice, which may be something different than your mom recalls.

I would recommend smalling and tasting it before you use it so that you are familair with its flavor. If you like it, go ahead!

This recipe sounds like a winner to me as well. I love sweet potatoes. But be careful with the star anise. The flavor is very close to black licorice. In small amounts, it does wonderful things to asian food. But add a little too much, and it will overpower the other flavors, especially if you ar elike me and don't care for the taste of black licorice.

Other great flavors that compliment sweet spuds are cinamon, cloves, allspice, orange, and brown sugar, to name a few. Sweet potatoes are also great when served plain, with a bit of butter, and some S & P.

And yes, sweet potatoes are a nutrient rich food, and are high in soluble fiber, which helps controll blood sugar.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Give it a go ITK, it sounds kind of funky! I agree with jennyema though, that sounds like a lot. Maybe put it in a bit at a time and keep tasting? You can always add, but it gets tough to subtract stuff from a soup!

Okay!

Thanks for taking the time to 'digest' this recipe. When you aren't familiar with the ingredients I have to make things digestable if they don't care for it. I am so glad you all approved of it. If not for anything else but the value of what it will do for you. I have to go get this star anise. Hope the store I go to has it otherwise have to go to spice shop that is located in center of town. Don't really care to go there by myself but gotta do what you gotta do! Right? Will let you know how well it is received and if you want to try it. Wish I could give you all a jar to sample. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom