"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pasta in soup...

Hey guys. I need some opinions. What type of pasta would ya'll recommend to use in soups? I love pasta in my soup, but I don't like it when they get all mushy and soggy. Any suggestions on what type would hold up really well?

Old 10-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
All pasta will get soggy....

Old 10-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
The best way to ensure that the pasta holds up is to cook it separately from the soup and add it to the hot soup just before service. If you do that each time you serve the soup, it will always be fresh and "new," and not like leftovers.

Otherwise, no matter what pasta you use, it will eventually fall apart and/or get mushy.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
excuse spelling, but Conchigli is good if you serve up within 10-15 mins of adding it, Fussili will last quite a bit longer due to its almost solid core that the spiral maintains itself on.
non are mush good next day though (that typo Was deliberate).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Pasta in soup gets soft and mushy from overcooking. If you will be making a lot of soup and reheating it several times, do as ChefJune suggests. If it's a one shot deal, add the pasta to the soup when it's just about done and just cook it until the pasta is ready. Stop a little short of cooked so it will finish cooking with carryover.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Andy, I'd rather cook the pasta separately in all cases, because cooking it in the soup adds extra starch I usually don't want.

Guess I got that from my Mom, who always cooked the noodles separately from the chicken soup!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Cook

If you can find them where you live use Kluski noodles.

They are also called dumpling noodles. They take longer to cook than regular egg noodles and hold up very well in soups. I cook them separately first then add them to the soup. They last in the soup for a couple of days without getting mushy.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Andy, I'd rather cook the pasta separately in all cases, because cooking it in the soup adds extra starch I usually don't want.

Guess I got that from my Mom, who always cooked the noodles separately from the chicken soup!
I understand. My Mom put the pasta into the soup!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Any of the small-type pastas will work, although I've found that Rotini doesn't hold up well.

If I'm making just enough soup to use up in a couple of days, I cook the pasta in the soup during the last few minutes of cooking time. If, however, I'm making enough soup so that I'm going to be freezing some of it. I only cook pasta in the amount I plan to serve immediately, freeze the rest pasta-less, & reheat it with fresh pasta as I use it. I do the same with rice.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I like to cook the pasta separately and put just what I want in the soup for one meal, toss the rest of the pasta with a little olive oil and hold to add the rest the next nite. (That way dinner's all ready!)

Tags
None