Pea soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eaglelox

Assistant Cook
im going to make some pea soup and i would like to know some things.
can i use my frozen chicken stock in lieu of the watter.
should i hit the vegys with some heat and olive oil before i add them to the mix. Thanks:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Is this split pea soup? I always just use water for mine but no reason not to use stock. I just put everything in together and cook until the peas are soft. Don't forget a ham bone, if you have one.

Hi Eagle and welcome.

When I make my pea soup - I'm assuming you mean green split peas here - I use some form of pork as a flavor base, so using the chicken stock would be a waste of chicken stock IMO.

I usually put a couple of pounds of dried split peas in a large stockpot or Dutch oven, add a nice big leftover ham bone, some smoked ham hocks or similar pork or ham goodie. To that I add one large chopped onion, sometimes some minced carrot, but not always, then throw in a couple of bay leaves and cover all with water.

I don't add salt in the beginning because the meats may already have some salt. I wait until I can get an idea of what the soup is going to taste like before I add salt and/or freshly ground black pepper.

I bring the whole lot to a boil and then reduce the heat to ultra low and let it cook until the peas are nice and tender and the soup can be stirred to a consistency of your choice. This is not a 30-minute soup. I cook mine for several hours. The meat will have fallen off the bones by the time the soup is done, so you might wish to chop the larger pieces up a bit to allow the meat to be more evenly distributed in the soup.

If I'm feeling especially decadent, I might add some whole milk just before serving. Pea soup will get much thicker upon standing, so feel free to add additional water or milk. You won't hurt it. Split pea soup in our house is one of our favorite cool weather comfort foods. It makes the house smell divine while it's cooking. Enjoy!

Eaglelox said:
im going to make some pea soup and i would like to know some things.
can i use my frozen chicken stock in lou of the watter.
should i hit the vegys with some heat and olive oil before i add them to the mix. Thanks:ROFLMAO:

Yes to both. When I have the option, I choose stock in lieu of water because it has more flavor. I also saute the veggies a bit with either pancetta or bacon fat.

A good-sized ham bone with scraps of ham attached is a great addition to the soup. After the cooking is done, puree the soup then cut the ham off the bone and add it back to the soup.

I like a few potatoes, onions and carrots in my split pea soup, and lots of pieces of ham or smoked sausage.
I would save the chicken broth if I were you.

Am basically with Katie but we rarely have a ham bone, only two of us.

But can always get hocks, so usually use them.

Will make the soup using chicken stock, whether it makes a difference or not have never tried anything else.

But cook everything for a while without the peas.

Take out the hocks and toss in the split peas.

Then take the meat off the hocks and add to the soup towards the end.

And always add a splash of vinegar before serving.

Pea soup. Food for the Gods! Comfort food!

We usually make it with split peas. Onions fried in butter, salt , water, a ham bone ( there's a German community close to Caracas which produces some amazing smoked ham ...) and a little parsley at the end.

Over here it's usually served with a little grated white cheese, or Parmesan cheese, on top.

I often use chicken broth in my pea soup, I think it adds some flavor.

I usually make split pea soup a lot like Katie described but I saute the onion first.
Last night I made a small pot of split pea soup with poblano pepper, onion and garlic sauteed in bacon grease. It was either very good or I was very hungry.

You can make fresh or frozen pea soup too. Give it a bit of a whiz with a stick blender, just leaving some whole. I like it with corn too. I have always told my grown kids to only add things that count towards the end product, so don't use water very much at all. We always add a tspn of sugar to our pea things, no matter what.

i sauted the onions, leeks, carrots, celery. then added it to the chicken stock along with parsley, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, pepper, 3 smoked ham hocks, mushrooms, yellow and green split peas and a pinch of red pepper. i just cut all the meat off the hocks and put it back in. i might cook it uncovered for a while, then add some milk. this pea soup is screaming already. the kids already want dinner," were are starving to death dad", but they will just have to wait for mom.:LOL:

Sounds delish, Eagle.

I forgot to tell you all...you might wanta try this...I like a couple of good splashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce in my bowl of pea soup. Cornbread is an awfully good accompaniment, too.

I make a pot of split pea soup every week. I make it in my 8 quart pressure cooker. First add a couple quarts of water and the smoked meat. I usually use ham hocks (cut the meat around the circumference in 3 or 4 places), pork neck bones, pork shanks, or turkey legs or wings. I add 1 to 1/2 teaspoons of dried pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon of ground pepper and cook at full pressure (15 psi) for about 40 to 45 minutes. The meat at this point is falling off the bone, the bone collagen is fully detached and the marrow has dissolved into the liquid. Remove all bones. I next add my split peas (4 to 5 cups), onions, diced carrots, spices (dried mustard powder, thyme, bay leaf, cumin, fennel seed or ground fennel, sage, marjorem and liquid smoke. Add water to make up 8 quarts. Cook at high pressure for 15 to 18 minutes.

Let stand for about 30 minutes before serving to fully thicken. Add water to thin if necessary.

A family favorite. Constance, we used to sing-song "pea soup and johnny cake, makes a French-man's belly ache." We are French-Canadian ancestry, and the johnny cake was corn bread. Now that fall is here, it is time to hit my favorite butcher for his great ham hocks and make a batch for the freezer. My hint on the subject is to stew the ham hocks for an hour or two before adding the peas. You get more flavor from them that way. Chopped carrots and potatoes I consider to be an option (I usually DO put them in), but an onion or two and a clove or two of garlic are must-dos. I, too, would save the chicken stock. The peas and smoked meat would just overwhelm it.

That's pretty cool, Claire. They're Johnny cakes up in the Far North, and Hoe cakes in the deep South.
Whatever you call it, cornbread is some good stuff.

Constance said:
That's pretty cool, Claire. They're Johnny cakes up in the Far North, and Hoe cakes in the deep South.
Whatever you call it, cornbread is some good stuff.

In a fit of laziness a couple of weeks ago when I made lentil soup for supper, instead of making cornbread in my cast-iron skillet as I always do, I made corn cakes. Like pancakes. Instead of using regular milk in my favorite recipe, I used buttermilk and poured the batter onto a hot greased griddle. Omigosh, these little babies puffed up beautifully and they were great with the soup.

We had the leftovers the next morning for breakfast with butter and syrup. Buck said he likes the corn cakes better than cornbread in the skillet.:)

Katie, I have a friend who makes them in a waffle iron. I've never tried it, as my waffler is ancient and buried in the basement somewhere, but I'll bet they be good that way, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom