"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-27-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Master Chef

Need a Pea Soup Recipe

I have a large ham bone left from Christmas Eve dinner and I promised my mom that I'd make her split pea soup. She's the only one in the family that likes it so I want to treat her! Does anyone have any good recipies to share?

Old 12-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook

there was a thread on this awhile ago...

http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=3471

hope you find one you like!

Old 12-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

I use a modified version of the recipe found on most packages of dried split peas. To that recipe, I add shredded carrot, minced onion, and a bit of mesquite flavored liquid smoke. Then, when the soup is done, I bind it with a roux. I just heat about 3 tbs. of AP-Flour with the same amount of butter, or sunflower oil in a pan, and then use the broth from the soup to thicken into a creamy sauce. Add the sauce to the soup and stir. This binding technique holds the pea particles in suspension. They don't settle to the bottom. It also makes the soup creamier. Of course, you will need to remove the bone before doing this. But make sure to get every shred of meat from that bone and return it to the soup. Yum! :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:45 PM   #4

Trust GoodWeed to come out with the best suggestions!

Be sure to add any chopped ham scraps, and the addition of green garden peas or green beanns at the last minute can add as well....but for sure the chopped onion and shredded carrot...
Old 12-29-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Executive Chef

How about a recipe for that wonderful yellow pea soup from Canada from one of our Canadian friends?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

I love Habitant brand French-Canadien Pea Soup, made with teh yellow peas. I hvae a package of the yellow dried peas at home. I am going to have to try to come up with a good recipe for something similar. :D I'll post it after Iknow whether my ideas for this soup are a success or not.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

TY - we'll be waiting, Goodweed!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 AM   #8

(Trying to "scoop" GoodWeed on this recipe!)

"Habitant" soup usually comes in a can...

The Hambone into a pot, cover with water and "stew" for 2030 minutes to reduce the components to a "liquor"...remove the bone, cut away all the bits of meat, add the reserved "drippings " from the original "carving" of the ham, plus any little "bits", including fats...in a "push" use bacon bits (the "real ones" you get by actually frying them!) c/w "grease"...

Mix with "Habitant" "Pea Soup" canned mixture...(16 oz?)

Add:

1-2 carrots, topped, peeled and minced

1 onion, diced or minced

2-3 tbspn minced garlic

1 cup finely sliced green beans

"Stew" slowly, for at least an hour...

Then add about a cup of frozen peas...

Continue cooking for another 30 minutes...

Serve...

Preserves WONDERFULLY for several more day's enjoyment....
Old 12-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Hmmm, Lifter - is this the soup made with the dried yellow split peas?
Old 12-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

PA sorry I am late with this, but I have been off line since early Tuesday visiting with my cousin from out of town. HERE it is, from Julia Child, The Way To Cook. I will digest it, as we are all cooks and do not need the long version. If anyone is confused, PM me and I will explain further. This is the best split pea soup I have ever eaten.

FIRST you make ham stock:
2 qts or so of bones, scraps
3 Qts water, or combination of leftover ham braising juices or chic stock
1 cup each peeled and chopped carrots and onions
1 large rib of celery with leaves, washed and chopped
Herb boquet of 3 bay leaves, 1 tsp thyme, 5 whole cloves or allspice tied in cheesecloth NOTE I use a tea diffuser for this and hook over pop.

Cut up bones adn cover over bones and vegetables by 2 inches. Add herb
mix. Simmer 3-4 hours with the ocver askew to allow for air circulation. Taste after 1 hour or so and add salt and pepper if needed, skim if needed. Cool, strain and degrease. This may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze. (I use half and freeze other half)

SOUP

3 TBS butter
2/3 cup each diced celert and onions
1/2 cup each diced carrots and turnips or rutabaga (I use latter)
3 TBS flour
2 QTS ham stock h eated in sauce pan
1-1/2 Cups green or yellow split peas (I use equal amounts of both)
Garnish: 1-1/2 cups toasted croutons or 1/2 C ham sauted in butter.

Saute vegetables in butter ofer moderate heat stirring frequently for 5 min. Blend in flour ( to make liaison so the eventual pea puree will not stick to the bottom of the soup). cook stirring for 3 min. Remove from heat and let cool briefly, blend in the hot ham stock, and the split peas. Bring to the simmer, stiring. Cover loosely and simmer 45 minutes or until peas are tender, s/p if needed.

Julia suggests masing the peas and vegetables into the liquid with a masher or spoom but I find it was not necessary as it thickened beautifully, and I like the lumps. Be careful with salting as some hams are extremely salty.

EDIT NOTE: She does not add more ham to the soup, I did add some diced ham in the final 10 minutes of cooking, just to warm it. Garnished with dollop (sorry) of sour cream and the croutons and more shredded ham.

Tags
None