Potage Crème d'Asperges or Cream of Asparagus Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
This recipe is from Foods of the World, Time-Life Books, New York, Recipes: The Cooking of Provincial France, page 24-25.
My Father had most of the collection of this series of cookbooks and I would make this recipe for him often; we both loved it.

Over the years and several moves, somehow the books were lost and a friend of mine just happen to have it!

I've done a copy&paste just as he gave it to me, although I have removed his personal information that was attched.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Recipe By :Adapted and formatted by Pete V. McCracken
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds fresh asparagus
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot -- or scallions
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons soft butter
salt
white pepper

With a small sharp knife (not a vegetable peeler), peel each asparagus stalk of its skin and tough outer flesh. Trim butt end about 1/4 inch.

Cut off tips and reserve for later.

cut remaining stalks into 1/2 inch lengths, set aside.

In 3-4 quart saucepan, bring chicken stock and salt to a boil over moderate heat.

Drop in asparagus tips and boil slowly for 5-8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the stock into a bowl and set the tips into another

In the same saucepan, melt five tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Whisk in the six tablespoons of flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. DO NOT LET ROUX BROWN!

Remove pan from heat and let cool for a few seconds, then pour in stock, beating constantly with wire whisk to blend the stock and roux.

Return pan to moderate heat and stir until theis cream soup base comes to a boil, thickens, and is perfectly smooth. Turn heat down and let simmer gently

Melt remaining two tablespoons of butter in an 8-10 inch enameled or stainless steel skillet. When foam subsides, stir in cut up asparagus stalks and the shallots, and toss them in the butter over moderate heat for 3 minutes.

Stir sautéed stalks and shallots into the simmering soup base and cook, over low heat, for 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.

Purée the soup through a food mill into a mixing bowl and then sieve back into pan.

With a wire whisk, , blend the egg yolks and cream together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the puréed soup, 2 tablespoons at a time. Then reverse the process and add the tempered egg yolk and cream mixture into th esoup, whisking continuously.

Bring to a boil and boil for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.

Remove pan from heat and stir in the 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.

Ladle into individual soup bowls or a preheated tureen and garnish with reserved assparagus tips

Description:
"Potage Crème d'Asperges"
Source:
"Foods of the World, Time-Life Books, New York, Recipes: The Cooking of Provincial France, page 24-25"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 351 Calories; 29g Fat (74.8% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 155mg Cholesterol; 2682mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : Cooking times may vary for very young asparagus

Though the recipe does not call for blanching or chilling the asparagus tips, I would.

This sounds delicious, kgirl - thank you for sharing! :yum: I don't have a food mill, but I imagine it would work pretty much as well in my blender, and pressed through my fine mesh sieve, if needed. YUM!

Yup, that's work Cheryl!
That's what my Dad and I did back in the day.

Funny, I thought that this was from like the 70's,
close ... first edition published 1968.

There's a recipe as well in this same cookbook for Pâté,
that got me absolutely hooked on good Pâté. Makes THE BEST
sandwich on some nice fresh baguette. :yum:

That sounds lovely.

I really need to get a food mill or processor, my capacity to puree things is limited, I have a small chopper, and a nice Osterizor blender, but I don't feel like I can get a goodly ammount of potatoes or Asparagus, or Califlour made into a smooth puree for a soup, and so many of the sphisticated soups I admire want a puree.

Ah well, if I had every kitchen implement I fantasized about there wouldn't be room for me in the kitchen. People made soup long before electric motors came around. It just takes more work, and lots of mashing!

TBS (E-F)

That sounds lovely.

I really need to get a food mill or processor, my capacity to puree things is limited, I have a small chopper, and a nice Osterizor blender, but I don't feel like I can get a goodly ammount of potatoes or Asparagus, or Califlour made into a smooth puree for a soup, and so many of the sphisticated soups I admire want a puree.

Ah well, if I had every kitchen implement I fantasized about there wouldn't be room for me in the kitchen. People made soup long before electric motors came around. It just takes more work, and lots of mashing!

TBS (E-F)
You might want to invest in an immersion blender. You can purée your soups in the pot you made them in. There are very inexpensive but effective models on the market. And they’re easy to clean, too!

You might want to invest in an immersion blender. You can purée your soups in the pot you made them in. There are very inexpensive but effective models on the market. And they’re easy to clean, too!

Yes, immersion blenders are much better than blenders or food processors as those tend to over process (especially bad for tomato-based soups as it will change the color).

Food mills are good but you need another pot or bowl. As Joel says, the immersion blender is used right in the original pot - and you control the amount and speed it blends. I use mine for all my soups and sauces that need blending.

I love Cream of Asparagus soup. This looks like a great recipe, close to what I make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom