Potato/leek soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Peel and chop 2 lb.s potatoes, I use Yukon golds. Trim the ends off 1 lbs. leeks then slice the long way and rinse well slice leeks. Put the leeks and potatoes in a saucepan Add enough broth to cover. You will need 8 cups of beef broth in all. Now cook uncovered, over med heat til veggies are tender. With sloted spoon put veggies in blender or F/P and process til smooth, Return pureed veggies to broth. Bring puree to a boil.Remove from heat beat 2 egg yolks and1/2 cup heavy cream working fast mix the egg mixture into the hot soup.. Now stir in 2-tab. fresh chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper Serve this soup hot with fresh grated parmesan and toasted French or Italian bread and butter.
enjoy,
kades

Love Potato-Leek Soup, I only process half the potato though, I like the chunks in my soup.

Thanks, Ma!

Thanks

I am going to make this soup , it sounds yummy, will let you know how I went, Thanks very much Kade:chef:

Last edited:
Need to bump this up.

I would like to make the vegan style potato/leek soup, actually egg is ok, but no meat or milk. Also it would be a 24 quart pot to feed about 100 people so I would like to simplify the process as much as possible.

Any advice please.

Need to bump this up.

I would like to make the vegan style potato/leek soup, actually egg is ok, but no meat or milk. Also it would be a 24 quart pot to feed about 100 people so I would like to simplify the process as much as possible.

Any advice please.

This recipe is vegan: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/easy-leek-and-potato-soup-83348.html#post1219350

I would make it in batches. The amounts in that recipe makes about 2-2.5 quarts of soup. I've never actually measured how much soup it makes.

Thank you. I think I am going to have to skip thus soup. I just do not have time to make it in batches. I have to cook in advance for 3 days, for about 100 people. I will gave no time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

ooh, just as soon as i can get me some leeks home, i'm making me a pot of that creamy dreamy leek and potato soup! when i make it, i saute all of the leeks (light green parts included) in two or three Ts of butter for 5-10 mins.--slowly, so's they won't brown. i use chicken or vegetable broth for 1/2 of the liquid, no milk or cream. i do add thyme and marjoram, and parsley, if i have it. i believe it's the salt that brings out the full flavor in this soup, so i'm very careful adding the seasonings in the final stages.

Thank you. I think I am going to have to skip thus soup. I just do not have time to make it in batches. I have to cook in advance for 3 days, for about 100 people. I will gave no time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I don't think it really needs to be cooked in batches. But, the pureeing of 24 quarts of soup would be a real PITA. I'm not even sure what way would be best. A food mill? Batches & batches in a food processor? A humongo immersion blender? How big a pot would that take unless it was done in two batches?

24 quart pot will feed 100 people with some even getting seconds. But pureeing takes too much time. Will just have to stick to making this at home. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom