Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what type of spud soup are you looking for, lvd?

creamy, brothy, with/without meat, vegetables, etc?

lvd, here is the recipe that i posted a long time ago, for a potato soup that includes chorizo (or ham), kale, and potatoes. it's hearty and chunky.

one of my favorite fall soups is "irish 2 potato soup". i found a similar recipe called portugese kale and potato soup, which used chorizo instead of ham. i liked the chorizo better, so here's my recipe for "irish/portugese 2 potato soup". (the amounts and times are approximate. i need to write stuff down when i cook)

5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
2 1/2 cups diced onions
3 cups sliced carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound russet (baking) potatoes (about 2 large)
8 cups chicken broth
2 pounds chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound kale, stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and shredded thin (about 10 cups packed)
1 pound red potatoes

In a large kettle, cook the garlic, the onions, and the carrot in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened. Add the russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces), broth, and/or enough water to cover, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, in a skillet cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring, until it is lightly browned. With a slotted spoon transfer the cooked potatoes to a blender, add about 2 cups of the cooking liquid and puree the mixture until it is smooth. Stir the puree potatoes into the broth mixture, add the chorizo, the kale, the red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer the soup, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the red potatoes and kale are tender.

My favorite potato recipe is one I’ve modified based on others I’ve seen. I don’t know the exact measurements since I just cook it on the fly. It’s a creamy soup that you serve warm/hot. It goes something like this.

5-6 medium potatoes
Chicken Broth
Heavy Whipping Cream
1lb Pork Sausage
1 bunch Green Onions
Salt & Pepper to taste

Peel and cube the potatoes and put them in a pot. Cover the potatoes with chicken broth (usually 2 14.5 oz cans is enough). Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer till the potatoes are just becoming tender.

While the potatoes are simmering, break the pork sausage up and brown it the same as you would brown hamburger meat. Once brown, drain and set aside. When the potatoes are nearly done, add the sausage and enough cream (about ¾ cup) to thicken and lighten the liquid. Chop the green onions and add them during the last 5 or so minutes of cooking (only use the green portion of the onion, not the stronger white portions near the base).

Makes great leftovers as well.

BuckyTom, I was going to wait until this weekend to make the soup, but I couldn't help myself. I went to the store last night and bought everything I needed and I finally got it finished. It was amazing! I did leave out the carrots though. And I'm having it for lunch today as well. Thank you so much!

you're very welcome lvd. :chef:
and thanks for posting that you made it.

since you use potatoes for the thickener, and the only fat and salt comes from the oo and chorizo and any extra you might add to taste, it's a fairly healthy soup.

lol, i re-read my instructions and found my own writing a little confusing.
still, it's really rewarding when you post a recipe, someone makes it and ends up enjoying it.

Without being too boring or traditional ( and lots to be said for that :) )vichysoisse is my fave potato soup. Leeks rule!! And potato's of course.
Spelling is prob wrong, I am no Francophile!

chop up some celery, and onion, and several large potatoes, the potatoes I cut into 3cm peices (you can leave the skin on if you like), and add them to a pot with some melted butter and heat until the onions go clear, then just cover with water and add salt, white peper and few blades of mace (if you don`t have mace use nutmeg instead).
let this simmer covered until the potatoes are cooked and start falling apart, then add a small pot of double cream and stir well.

it`s ready to eat in a few mins after :)

I cook this one as well as the Charleston's copy cat recipe with is also good.

Heavy Baked Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes, baked and cubed
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
salt and pepper
2 T. chopped green onion
1/2 cup crisp cooked crumbled bacon
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8oz.) sour cream

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and stir until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk and cook over low until bubbly, stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper. Stir in onions, bacon, cheese, and potatoes. Slowly fold in cream (I add a little bit to the cream at a time stirring, heating up the temp so the sour cream doesn't clump. Then stir into soup) Heat through.
If you wish the soup to be thinner add a little extra milk.

Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup)

1 bunch of Leeks (3 or 4) Sliced to about 2/3rd of the way up the green part , then thoroughly rinse the slices
2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (red potatoes do a nice job)
2 pints of Chicken Broth
Water
Salt
White Pepper
Light Cream
Olive Oil
A splash of white vinegar

In about an 8qt pot, saute the leeks in some olive oil, add the potatoes, salt & pepper, cover with the broth. If necessary, use a little water, too. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are soft.
Blend carefully (don't burn yourself!!!) with a little hand mixer
Blend in the cream (1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on your taste & waistline)
Add a splash of vinegar (or a dash of white wine or sherry) just to give the taste a bit of balance.

You can add other vegetables, of course - I often add carrots.

I apologize if my measurements are not precise enough - I make this from memory.

My daughters love this soup - we always serve it with fresh French or Italian bread, some good sharp cheese and a green salad.

I made this a few weeks back, sorry I didn't measure everything but it came out great & may give you some ideas.

6 Potatoes 3 cubed 3 grated
1 box instant potatoes
leeks
celery
1 head roasted garlic
turnips
carrots
32 oz sauerkraut
2 lbs bacon
2 lbs sausage
1 gallon milk
2 large cans chicken broth
1 pt. sour cream
caraway seed
celery seed
dill
garlic powder
onion powder
smoked paprika
nutmeg
salt
pepper

Cook bacon & brown sausage, drain, add leeks & celery, cook, add everything else except instant potatoes & garlic, cook some more. The instant potatoes will thicken the soup a lot so add them in small amounts towards the end along with the roasted garlic.

Last edited:
This is my favorite potato soup.

Chunky Potato Soup

2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
5 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” chunks
1 – 49 ½ oz. can chicken broth
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup half and half
¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
2 cups cubed ham, optional

In 5 quart saucepan melt butter over moderate heat. Add onion, bay leaf, and thyme; cook 3-5 minutes, until onions are clear. Add potatoes, chicken broth, and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. With slotted spoon transfer 2-3 cups of potatoes and onions to a bowl. Puree the remaining soup in 2-3 batches in a blender and return to saucepan. Stir in half and half and reserved potatoes and onions. Add ham at this time, if using. Season with salt and reheat. Serves: 4-6

Creamy potato and vegetable soup

a few Tbs. of oil to fry the veggies.
2 carrots sliced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
20 string beans chopped
2 to 4 potatoes peeled and cubed ( they will fall apart a little when cooked so keep them kinda big)
1 pepper ( i keep the pieces big so i can pick them out because i hate eating them, but i like the flavor)
1/4 cup barley
1/2 cup +/- heavy cream
hand full of fresh dill
2 quarts +/- chicken stock , or whatever stock u like
salt and black pepper to taste

fry up the carrots, celery, onions, pepper, string beans in the oil, not necessarily to brown, but to get soft

add the tomatoes, stock, barley, potatoes and boil until barley and potatoes are soft enough, but not totally disintigrated. ( may need to add more stock or water, im just kinda basing this all on memory since i havnt made it in awhile).

Add cream, and dill, cook 5 - 10 minutes more. add salt and pepper to taste ...

In my opinion, the cream and dill make this soup, so feel free to add more.

Back
Top Bottom