Potato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chunky Potato Soup

2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
5 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 (49½ oz.) can chicken broth
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup half and half
¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
2 cups cubed ham, optional

In 5 quart saucepan melt butter over moderate heat. Add onions, bay leaf, and thyme; cook 3-5 minutes, until onions are clear. Add potatoes, chicken broth, and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Discard bay leaf. With slotted spoon transfer 2 cups of potatoes and onions to a bowl. Puree the remaining soup in 2-3 batches in a blender and return to saucepan. Stir in half and half and reserved potatoes and onions. Add ham at this time, if using. Season with salt and heat to boiling point. Serves: 4-6

Last edited:
A potato soup always looks pretty if you (after dishing it out) sprinkle the edge circle with green onions, the middle circle with bacon and the inner circle with shredded cheddar, and a dollop of sour cream in the center. (It will look like a target and taste like a baked potato)

This one is so good - a family favorite.

Potato Chowder
6 oz Bacon, cut in small pieces
1 lb Potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 c Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, smashed, and chopped
1 c Chicken broth
1 1/2 ts Crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
4 c Milk, room temperature (can use part cream)
1 tb Cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
3 c Corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/2 c Red pepper, diced
2 tb Green onion, thinly sliced, white and green parts
2 tb Parsley, finely chopped

1.Cook bacon in a large dutch oven until just crispy. Remove bacon (for garnish) and reserve some of the fat.
2.Add the potatoes, onion and garlic. Stir to coat with fat. Cook for about 5 minutes until onions become softened.
3.Add chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium until potatoes are sl. tender.
4.Stir two tablespoons of milk into the cornstarch. Add to the potato mixture and cook briefly. Add remaining milk, S & P to taste.
5.Bring mixture to a low boil, stirring, and allow to thicken. Reduce heat and stir in the corn and peppers.
6.Cook several more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with bacon crumbles, green onions and parsley.

here's one i've posted before:

one of my favorite fall soups is "irish 2 potato soup". i found a similar recipe called portugese kale and potato soup which used chorizo instead of ham. i liked the chorizo better, so here's my recipe for "irish/portugese 2 potato soup. (the amounts and times are approximate. i need to write stuff down when i cook)

5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
2 1/2 cups diced onions
3 cups sliced carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound russet (baking) potatoes (about 2 large)
8 cups chicken broth
2 pounds chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound kale, stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and shredded thin (about 10 cups packed)
1 pound red potatoes

In a kettle cook the garlic, the onions, and the carrot in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened. Add the russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, the broth, and enough water to cover, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, in a skillet cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring, until it is lightly browned. With a slotted spoon transfer the cooked potatoes to a blender, add about 2 cups of the cooking liquid and purée the mixture until it is smooth. Stir the purée into the broth mixture, add the chorizo, the kale, the red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer the soup, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Baked Potato Soup:

5 medium baking potatoes
8 slices bacon
1 cup sweet onions chopped
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
1 cup green onions, sliced divided
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped

Wash potatoes; prick several times with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done; let cool. Peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Cook onion in drippings, stirring constantly, until tender; add flour, stirring well. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Gradually add chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in potato, half-and-half, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes (do not boil).

Stir in 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup green onions. Cook until cheese melts, stirring often. Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Top evenly with crumbled bacon. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 3/4 cup cheese, 3/4 cup green onions, and parsley.

Made this tonight ......... didn't follow a recipe but just made it up as I went along and I must say it was really good and hearty.

In a dutch oven I drizzled in some extra virgin olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. I then threw in 3/4 cup chopped onions, 3/4 cup chopped celery with some of the leaves chopped also, 1/4 finely chopped carrot. Added a pinch of kosher salt and a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper. I sauted this for 2-3 minutes and then threw in 5 chopped Idaho potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes........I cooked this for about 5 minutes then added a can of chicken broth, 1 cup half and half and a stick of butter. I started off with 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper. I brought all this up to a boil then turned it down to simmer. After about 10 minutes of simmering I tasted it and added more salt and pepper to my taste. I ladeled it into a bowl and topped it with crumbled fried bacon and some green from a scallion.

Potato Soup

4 large baking potatoes, baked and cubed
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
6 cups milk
salt/pepper
2 T. chopped green onion
1/2 cup crisp cooked crumbles bacon
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8oz.) sour cream

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add flour and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk and cook over low until bubbly, stirring frequently. Salt and pepper. Stir in onions, bacon, cheese and potatoes. Slowly fold in cream and cook until heated through. Add milk if necessary to thin.

Potato Soup

I made a baked potato soup similar to JulieV's except that I didn't add a lot of spices. I used scallions, bacon, cheese in addition to milk, chicken broth, and potatoes. It was pretty good.

I am soaking kidney beans to use for JulieV's kidney bean and sausage soup. I bought some barley for it last week. I've not used barley in years and this is "whole grain" barley. I mean that it's not heavily processed.

It's getting cold here and I live in FLORIDA!! Glad the danger of hurricane is past. (At least by the calendar the danger is passed as the hurricane "season" ends Nov. 30.)

Happy holidays to all......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom