Potato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
YouTube - Potato Soup Version One

Potato Soup

4 large Potatoes or 8 smaller ones
1 lb. bacon
2 onions, diced
1 cup Flour
1 gallon whole milk
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
(Could use Knox's Yummy Chicken Dry Rub or whatever you like in your soup)
1 Tablespoon Salt

Peel and chop potatoes into soup size chunks and boil until they just get tender, about 10 minutes, in salted water, drain and set aside.

In a large soup pot cook bacon over medium heat until crisp and crumble or cut up first and cook, whatever floats your boat. DO NOT DRAIN.

Add onion and cook until onion begins to brown. Stir in flour and stir and allow to cook for a couple minutes. Begin adding milk while constantly stirring. Add some milk, stir, add some milk, stir, repeat until milk is in there, all of it. Add salt and pepper and allow to simmer for about 15 more minutes.

Enjoy!
Bryan

That's like the one I make but use I celery and no flour.

Potato Soup
I made this last weekend, It is a all time favorite of mine. Mom made this all the time as I was growing up. It's very easy.

Potato Soup
6 cups potatoes (5-6 diced)
1 lb bacon
1 large chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tsp.white pepper to taste, or can use black pepper
2 cups milk (give or take)
2-tsp celery salt to taste

In a 5 to 6 quart pan, cut one pound bacon in one inch pieces give or take, Sauté bacon until crisp, remove bacon reserving some pork fat to Sauté onion. Remove onion add diced potatoes with enough water to just cover no more. Bring to boil, cook for fifteen minuets add celery cook till potatoes are almost done. (At this step I let it cool down, this lets the potato in the boiling water settle to the bottom. then pore off about half the water) add bacon and onoin and [milk (this is your judgment, I do not measure this) and if I have some half and half or heavy cream well this might go in as well.] Add pepper and celery salt to taste. The original recipe calls for salt? Taste to see if needed.

Excellent! It is a great soup and great base for many other soups although if I fancy it up to make chowder a lot of times I replace some of the milk with cream. Try your recipe with roasted corn. That is a favorite of mine after a day or two.

I like a thin soup, just boil potatoes and some onions, don't use a whole lot of water, just enough to cover, then I add milk and bring it to a simmer. I make dumplings with flour and egg, a dense, not fluffy dumpling, simmered in the soup until done.

Back
Top Bottom