"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Purpose of Farro in a Pureed Soup

I was out east this past weekend ( in the country/ farmland), and stopped by a local farm to browse. We wound up buying fresh baked bread ( still steamy when ripped in half. Was a whole grain sour dough). I also picked up a butternut squash soup.
The soup was really good, so I looked at the ingredients to see what I'd need to duplicate it.

I saw there was Farro as one of the ingredients. The soup was pureed and probably strained considering how smooth and silky it was.

I've eaten farro before, not much taste but kinda carries the other ingredients .

My question is, is the farro in the soup more as a thickening ingredient than anything else? I cant see it really adding much to the flavor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3931.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	37548  

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Head Chef

It looks like that's what it is; I've seen many recipes like this that use red lentils, but a grain like farro would probably do the same thing, though it takes longer to soften. I haven't used in dishes I will purée, but obviously it works!

Old 11-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Sous Chef

that's interesting. i might try that.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I think farro is also a good source of protein in addition to providing body to the soup.

Also, you cannot discount the possibility that the farm had an excess of farro and decided to make soup with it to use it up. ;-)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think farro is also a good source of protein in addition to providing body to the soup.

Also, you cannot discount the possibility that the farm had an excess of farro and decided to make soup with it to use it up. ;-)
Im with Andy.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Very possible. They are a small farm and strolling through the store looks like nothing goes to waste. Although not what ai was looking for, they had a freezer full of bones and chicken feet, all kinds of lard, chicken fat ... in a fridge , goat milk products from cheese, to milk, soap .... So looks like they are very efficient with their bounty, so why not throw surplus farro in the soup, Whatever its purpose, the soup was really good and a nice consistency too .

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, soup

Purpose of Farro in a Pureed Soup I was out east this past weekend ( in the country/ farmland), and stopped by a local farm to browse. We wound up buying fresh baked bread ( still steamy when ripped in half. Was a whole grain sour dough). I also picked up a butternut squash soup. The soup was really good, so I looked at the ingredients to see what I'd need to duplicate it. I saw there was Farro as one of the ingredients. The soup was pureed and probably strained considering how smooth and silky it was. I've eaten farro before, not much taste but kinda carries the other ingredients . My question is, is the farro in the soup more as a thickening ingredient than anything else? I cant see it really adding much to the flavor. 3 stars 1 reviews