"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question on Making Broth (or Stock)

Hi Everyone,

Ok, admittedly I'm a noob to cooking so please pardon any glaring errors.

I've started with the simple stuff like making soups and such, and am looking to start experimenting with broth, or stock (not sure which term is applicable).

Here is the skinny. Best I can tell whenever you make soup, and chill it, the soup will get a little gelatinous. I'm looking to make the broth and keep it in a more liquid form. By way of example something similar to the liquid broth made by Pacific Foods.

So is it something as simple as adding more water, or am I missing something? If anyone has a recipe, or suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 01-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
Hi Everyone,

Ok, admittedly I'm a noob to cooking so please pardon any glaring errors.

I've started with the simple stuff like making soups and such, and am looking to start experimenting with broth, or stock (not sure which term is applicable).

Here is the skinny. Best I can tell whenever you make soup, and chill it, the soup will get a little gelatinous. I'm looking to make the broth and keep it in a more liquid form. By way of example something similar to the liquid broth made by Pacific Foods.

So is it something as simple as adding more water, or am I missing something? If anyone has a recipe, or suggestion, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Dave
A lot depends on the meat/protein that you use. More bone and cartilage will result in more gelatin formation. When I make chicken stock I almost always use a lot of wing tips, and my stock sets up like Jello. I don't have any problem with that, as that gelatin is almost pure protein - quite nutritious. It liquefies immediately when heat is applied, so it's fine for anything I use it for. The last time I made a rib roast I made the au jus ahead of time using an oxtail and some beef shanks. It came out rather gelatinous, but still worked fine when reheated and served with the roast.

Is there a particular reason why you don't want the gelatin?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My stock is always gelatinous in the fridge as well, but as RB pointed out, liquifies when heated. I agree, any time you use bones, you'll get gelatin.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Gelatin screams to me FLAVOR! It also tells me Protein! Lots of nutrition. I am always very happy to see gelatinous matter on top of my soup, broth, stock. Why don't you want gelatin? I was really surprised to read your post. Who doesn't want flavor in their stock?
Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My stock is always gelatinous in the fridge as well, but as RB pointed out, liquifies when heated. I agree, any time you use bones, you'll get gelatin.
Isn't that the difference between stock and broth? Stock uses mostly bones while broth uses more meat.

When I make stock I reduce a couple gallons to fit into a couple ice cube or muffin trays then freeze and scrape off the floating fat. At that point it's more a glace', but tossing it in a hot liquid brings it back to stock.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Interesting points and a clarification :)

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the prompt feedback and quick response. And yes, like I said I'm the idiot here. Please allow me to elaborate a little more.

I got ahead of myself in my initial post and failed to mention that I am focusing on using just vegetables. You know- typical stuff-- carrots, onions, peas, celery, etc. Phrased differently, not using any sort of bones.

So am correct in assuming that not using bones will keep the "broth" pure liquid.

Love to hear your thoughts.

-Dave
Old 01-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

So you want to make vegetable broth. Yes, it will be pure liquid. Roasting or browning the vegetables first will give the broth more flavor. I would use onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, with parsley stems, thyme sprigs, a bay leaf and a tsp or so of black peppercorns.

Here's a veggie stock I made with my Instant Pot with the pressure cooker function. It was delicious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-07 15.25.42.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	24160  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

When making a basic stock, you only get gelatin if you include bones. Cooking just meat or veggies will give you a liquid broth.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Master Chef

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Dave, we're glad you came. You already know a lot more than you think, but we're all happy to help anyone wanting to learn more. This is a place of learning for all of us, even for the people who think they already know everything.
We have lot's of fun here and a good place to get your feet wet is on the nightly dinner thread. Again, welcome.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hey Everyone!

Thanks so much for the guidance, help support, and continuing warm welcome (@Kayelle). Definitely 'preciate it!

Special hat tip to GotGarlic for sharing the broth recipe. You RAWK!

Best,
Dave

Tags
broth, stock